Coco View since reopening?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GirlonFire

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have a tentative trip planned next month and wonder if I should go there or Cozumel.
I would be solo and this would be my first time there. I am ok with eat, sleep, dive but I worry about AA cancelling flights and having a credit with CCV instead of a refund.
The flight schedule into RTB seems to change a lot lately...
I enjoy macro and have read its much more prevalent in Roatan than Cozumel.
Are bugs really bad in October at Coco View?
I was in Cozumel a few weeks ago and loved it- staying and diving with Blue Angel.

If airlines cancel flights I don’t think you’ll be stuck with a credit only from CCV. Coco View was very accommodating during the initial shut down. Check with them, but if you can not get an inbound flight....what exactly is your concern or question?

Macro? Roatan wins, and even more-so, CCV’s location on the South side in the specific zone of shallow vertical walls- this is Macro Central.

Roatan has the very best Sand Flies. CCV is on the breezy side, all sand, no standing water. By definition, they will have the least infestation.

October? Do be serious. In the entire Caribbean, you’re in the rainy Tropical Storm season. Most storms track North of Roatan, instead hitting Belize or Cozumel. But...Roatan’s going to be moist. Very moist. The largest quantity of rainfall registered is always in November, and October is right in there.

In that regard... heavy weather comes from the North, the wind and wave. At CCV you are thus in the Lee side. Extremely rare for diving to be weathered out from CCV. There are some days that don’t offer much to see, but Oct, Nov, Dec pretty well sucks anywhere in the Caribbean, so at least you can log BT if nothing else, you’re not relegated to the bar.

You say you’re okay with “eat, sleep, dive”, and Coco View will test you on that. An easy 5 a day, 28+ in a week.

Report back.

If airlines cancel flights I don’t think you’ll be stuck with a credit only from CCV. Coco View was very accommodating during the initial shut down. Check with them, but if you can not get an inbound flight....what exactly is your concern or question?

Macro? Roatan wins, and even more-so, CCV’s location on the South side in the specific zone of shallow vertical walls- this is Macro Central.

Roatan has the very best Sand Flies. CCV is on the breezy side, all sand, no standing water. By definition, they will have the least infestation.

October? Do be serious. In the entire Caribbean, you’re in the rainy Tropical Storm season. Most storms track North of Roatan, instead hitting Belize or Cozumel. But...Roatan’s going to be moist. Very moist. The largest quantity of rainfall registered is always in November, and October is right in there.

In that regard... heavy weather comes from the North, the wind and wave. At CCV you are thus in the Lee side. Extremely rare for diving to be weathered out from CCV. There are some days that don’t offer much to see, but Oct, Nov, Dec pretty well sucks anywhere in the Caribbean, so at least you can log BT if nothing else, you’re not relegated to the bar.

You say you’re okay with “eat, sleep, dive”, and Coco View will test you on that. An easy 5 a day, 28+ in a week.

Report back.
Thanks for the detail.
The reason I am concerned with AAs flight schedule is they canceled one of the return flights for the return leaving me no way to get from
Roatan to Miami. I had to amend my trip so worry about another change.

I just returned from a week at Cocoview and I understand the draw for Coconuts.
There were only 6 guests for the week: 2 couples, my dive buddy and I. At only one week, my stay was short for a typical Cocoview guest.

Things were slightly different than when at normal capacity but nothing bothersome.
Instead of a buffet at meals, you are given daily menus and you choose what you like. Food was for the most part quite good. Standouts were the seafood soup and the sea bass. Oh and the coconut pie.
There’s a 7:30 curfew so Willie the bartender had to leave early but was happy to leave out drinks for you if needed. One night, we had some margaritas waiting after the night dive.
As a bonus, we found out a few days in that each guest was given a $150 bar credit and free nitrox in lieu of the live entertainment. Big bonus!
I don’t think I got close to the $150 but tried.

The diving side was very good.
We were all put on one boat (they seat at least 12 normally) and as is the case with Cocoview, had the same captain and DM the entire time. Dave and Kirk were fantastic. Super helpful and competent.
We were lucky to be guinea pigs for a day trip to Cayos Cuchinos. That was a great day. Three dives leaving at 8, returning around 4:30 with lunch on the boat. If they make this available, do it. Visibility was better than around Roatan and life was abundant. A local DM and Stacey the manager joined us and it was a lot of fun.
Local dives were good. Usually a lot of coral and fish. But in general, not as much macro as I’d hoped. Saw 2 nudiebranchs and a handful of sea slugs. Did see lots of Pederson shrimp. The night dive in the front yard was fun though. Kept my interest for almost the full 90 minute dive.
Saw my first Goliath groupers, some nurse sharks too as far as bigger life.
Never saw any other divers the entire time, even at Cayos. The Aggressor was moored there though.
I had intended on doing the lionfish hunting certification but skipped it in favor of photos. Surprisingly not too many around considering the lack of hunting lately.
My room #20 was nice. I like 2 beds when I travel alone so I can use one for gear. A/c and ceiling fans were great. Didn’t need the a/c all the time.
I had read about the noseeums and paid the price for seeing how it went the first day. Mistake. I had about 50 bites and found out I am highly allergic. Fun! I knew enough not to scratch them so that helped. My routine would be to wear my dive skin or rash guard/leggings to and from the dock and use repellent on any exposed skin. Cutter Lemon and Eucalyptus spray worked well for me. No mozzies at least.

Would I back? If Asia doesn’t open up by summer 2021, quite likely. It takes almost as long to get there from LA as it would to some parts of Asia. I left at 10:40pm and with a stop in Miami, landed in Roatan at around noon.

I heard that more guests are expected in the coming weeks, almost 50 at a time.

Having so few my week was pretty nice I must say. I can’t imagine when it’s full.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom