Coco Cay - Royal Caribbean Cruise Port

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jgaryclark

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I got suckered into going on a family cruise next year. One of the stops in Bahamas in at their private island CoCo Cay. As there are obviously no LDS on their private island, I'm forced to book through their cruise excursions. Anyone ever been diving here? How would you rate it? I'm definitely bringing my gear as we're stopping in Cayman as well. Thanks!

👎It's not worth the trouble. They haul you out by jet ski. Not much to see, as there's no reef. If I remember right, it's only a 1-tank dive.

If I remember right, it's only a 1-tank dive.
You got me curious (and you're right; 1-tank dive). Sometimes it may be hard to see the specific offering if you don't have a cruise booked. I have access to a booking, so for a particular day in July 2022, here's what's on offer for Cococay (except both are sold out):

Certified Scuba Dive With Equipment $69 per person.​

Overview​

See the beautiful coral reef before you as you dive to a depth of 40 feet. On your way down, catch a glimpse of parrot fish, grouper, trigger fish, stingrays and eagle rays, among other exotic marine life.

Highlights​

• PADI Instructor: Your guide will help you identify marine life and coral formations along the reef.
  • Equipment Provided: Your gear includes regulator, B.C., mask, fins, snorkel, tank, and weights.
  • Scuba Dive: Explore Cococay 40 feet below the surface and get up close and personal with its diverse marine life.
  • Duration
    1hr 30 min

Or...

Certified Scuba Dive Without Equipment​

SOLD OUT
From
$59.00 / per guest

Sold out

Overview​

Discover CocoCay's underwater world. On this one-tank, shallow-water shore dive in crystal-clear waters, you will explore colorful coral reef as you dive a maximum depth of 40 feet. Your PADI instructor will provide you with a tank and weight belt and help you identify the various marine life and coral formations the reef has to offer. You may see parrot fish, grouper, trigger fish, stingrays, and eagle rays.

Highlights​

• Scuba Dive: Enjoy a one-tank, shallow-water shore dive in waters up to 40 feet deep.
For $59 per guest.

For those that don't dive frequently $69 sounds like a good deal, especially for a cruise excursion. Other than being in the water there is nothing to do at CoCo Cay.

For those that don't dive frequently $69 sounds like a good deal, especially for a cruise excursion. Other than being in the water there is nothing to do at CoCo Cay.
Oh, the beach club is pretty nice. We were there in November. I went snorkeling, and my wife and the couple we were with headed to the club. On-ship drink package worked, had nice loungers, and a great surf-n-turf lunch. It‘s not a bad stop for a beach day.

Thanks y'all...I see the same description for our cruise as posted above. Sounds like I'll leave the gear onboard and just enjoy the beach and water park with my 4 year old.

I booked that "excursion" for my August sailing on Symphony. I did make the reservation during Royal's Black Friday 55% off sale, so I'm only paying $25 for the one-tank dive. I figure I'll be done before my family even wakes up to start the day. I also booked the waterpark for 55% off, so we'll be spending most of the day there, I'm sure.

I'm not expecting much, but I'll report back here with a review.

Cruising Royal Carribean, Harmony- stopping at Coco-Cay
If snorkeling from beach, is there anything to see, or is reef too far out?
Also, are metal detectors allowed on cruise ships or diving this island?

There isn't a reef, not that I recall.

I really doubt they allow metal detecting. They don't want you digging up the island.

I certainly never saw anyone with one when I was working for RCI.

Cruising Royal Carribean, Harmony- stopping at Coco-Cay
If snorkeling from beach, is there anything to see, or is reef too far out?
Also, are metal detectors allowed on cruise ships or diving this island?
There’s a bit of stuff to see, but not much. If you watch older YouTube videos you’ll see an airplane fuselage; that’s outside the swimming area now. The (presumably) fake shipwreck with cannons is there. No reef, but you might see some stuff snorkeling around the rocks on the shoreline. If I go there again I won’t bother.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom