Cobalt 2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jonny Wishbone

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Ok, so I've been looking at the Cobalt 2 for about the last 6 or 8 months. I have done about as much research as I am willing to do(which is alot) so now I figured I ask here on SB. I have read about alot of issues with the early Cobalt 2's but have not heard much about issues with fresh ones(latest ones out the door). I was wondering if the latest manufactured Cobalt 2's out there are good now. Are there still problems with the fresh ones say maybe only 6 months or a year old. I really like the Cobalt 2 but I don't want to buy an almost good computer. I know all computers will have there share of issues and/or glitches. I also see that Atomic Aquatics no longer monitors SB and one would now have to go to Facebook or contact customer service. Is Ron still out there helping Cobalt owners? Any "fresh" Cobalt 2 owners out there for some feedback?

Well I recently purchased my colbalt 2 early June 2017 and just checked the dive log: 96 dives since then(not withstanding numerous dive days lost due to IRMA). That includes 27 dives on a liveaboard in 5 1/2 dive days. It's been a flawless workhorse for me. I began computer assisted diving with the ORCA EDGE in, I believe 1985-86. Oceanic/aeris computers since then. The Colbalt 2 has simply been terrific!

Reefman
Key largo

Ok, so I've been looking at the Cobalt 2 for about the last 6 or 8 months. I have done about as much research as I am willing to do(which is alot) so now I figured I ask here on SB. I have read about alot of issues with the early Cobalt 2's but have not heard much about issues with fresh ones(latest ones out the door). I was wondering if the latest manufactured Cobalt 2's out there are good now. Are there still problems with the fresh ones say maybe only 6 months or a year old. I really like the Cobalt 2 but I don't want to buy an almost good computer. I know all computers will have there share of issues and/or glitches. I also see that Atomic Aquatics no longer monitors SB and one would now have to go to Facebook or contact customer service. Is Ron still out there helping Cobalt owners? Any "fresh" Cobalt 2 owners out there for some feedback?
I'm still here, not always checking in every day, but I try to do so. We're the original developers of the firmware/ user interface/ electronics design, and work closely with, but not for, Atomic. I've seen the repair/returns data all along, and the last couple of years have been quite good. The early issues that plagued the product had mostly to do with leaking seals and rusting buttons, re-engineering seals and magnet enclosures seems to have taken care of all of those issues. In 2014 (unfortunately coinciding with the release of the Cobalt 2) there were a lot of problems associated with a load of bad depth sensors that were contaminated by the sensor manufacturer and only failed after some use, once that problem was identified it was quickly dealt with. No complex product is going to be 100% perfect, but recent Cobalts have proven to be quite reliable. Firmware and hardware has undergone continual development, with the most recent firmware update just within the last month or so. Unfortunately the reputation from the new product glitches still persists, particularly as there are a lot of older Cobalts in the field.
With Atomic you also have a company with great customer service, and that does count for a lot.

-Ron

I got mine and one for my son in September. They are the "new" ones and no, we have not had any issues at all with them like what was previously going on with the first ones. One thing that did happen with the one I got is that when I set the time it would creep fast real quick. That is to say that I set the time and in less than a minute it was a minute ahead. After 5 minutes it was several minutes ahead. This was new out of the box and as soon as I charged it fully it held the proper time and has not done this since. My sons, the other one, has never done this and now 4 months later still zero issues on either one. I was worried about this initially as a dive computer first and foremost has to have an accurate clock.
I like the Cobalt II and there is only one thing about it I would change if I could....the cloth strap thing that comes with it to attach it to your BC is on the high pressure hose and it doesn't stay in place. If you use this method to attach the computer slides ahead and doesn't stay close to your BC when not in use. It is also about three inches long or so which places the computer even further out from you and further yet if you attach it with a retractor. As far as "what I would change"...the slot in the top or front of the computer is long {it goes all the way across the comp} and too thin to get much on it to mount it there, like with a ring and snap. If they just would have made the opening or gap slightly wider so a snap or little bit larger split ring would have fit and not stood out instead of being small and tight to not allow even a small split ring to lay down while in the protective cover it would have worked perfect.
I can post photos of what I am talking about if anyone wants to see it better to understand. I really like Atomic stuff and most of my gear is Atomic...but they seriously "missed the boat" with this issue. I guess many divers wont find it a problem, but when you have a company that is making the claim "stop looking for the best, it's here" and such, then you see this kind of simple little thing it makes you wonder "why" they could miss something so simple?????

Edit: in all fairness to Atomic, maybe there is some special attaching method that actually fits the extremely pathetically way too thin slot that at first glance caused me to wonder why even bother to put that useless thing on it. I just measured the slot, it is 1/8" wide.

Last edited:
I got mine and one for my son in September. They are the "new" ones and no, we have not had any issues at all with them like what was previously going on with the first ones. One thing that did happen with the one I got is that when I set the time it would creep fast real quick. That is to say that I set the time and in less than a minute it was a minute ahead. After 5 minutes it was several minutes ahead. This was new out of the box and as soon as I charged it fully it held the proper time and has not done this since. My sons, the other one, has never done this and now 4 months later still zero issues on either one. I was worried about this initially as a dive computer first and foremost has to have an accurate clock.
I like the Cobalt II and there is only one thing about it I would change if I could....the cloth strap thing that comes with it to attach it to your BC is on the high pressure hose and it doesn't stay in place. If you use this method to attach the computer slides ahead and doesn't stay close to your BC when not in use. It is also about three inches long or so which places the computer even further out from you and further yet if you attach it with a retractor. As far as "what I would change"...the slot in the top or front of the computer is long {it goes all the way across the comp} and too thin to get much on it to mount it there, like with a ring and snap. If they just would have made the opening or gap slightly wider so a snap or little bit larger split ring would have fit and not stood out instead of being small and tight to not allow even a small split ring to lay down while in the protective cover it would have worked perfect.
I can post photos of what I am talking about if anyone wants to see it better to understand. I really like Atomic stuff and most of my gear is Atomic...but they seriously "missed the boat" with this issue. I guess many divers wont find it a problem, but when you have a company that is making the claim "stop looking for the best, it's here" and such, then you see this kind of simple little thing it makes you wonder "why" they could miss something so simple?????

Edit: in all fairness to Atomic, maybe there is some special attaching method that actually fits the extremely pathetically way too thin slot that at first glance caused me to wonder why even bother to put that useless thing on it. I just measured the slot, it is 1/8" wide.
Couple of cable ties and a bolt snap?

Well I'm liking the feedback so far. It sounds like there are more good ones now than bad. Now the question came to me of how do I make sure that when I buy one that it is not one that has been in stock for 2 years somewhere. Is there a way to know this or is it just a crap shoot on getting a fresh one? Glad to hear from you Ron and good to know you're still around for trouble shooting.

Couple of cable ties and a bolt snap?

Yes sir, that would certainly work on a dive no problem, but it wouldn't allow for the very close fitted protective cover to go on the computer when out of the water. The protective cover is a very nice feature and it works real well to protect and keep the computer out of harms way. I actually used a small {like the diameter of a dime} stainless split ring in the slot. Then I can snap on my retractor to that. Sure would have been nice to have room in the cover for a snap of some kind...that would have just as effectively solved the problem as a big enough slot on the computer.
The other problem is that the more "items" that need to be attached between the computer and a BC cause it to not ride close to you during a dive. I mean, don't get me wrong, I know the computer doesn't have to be slam chock tight to me the whole dive, but I would like it to ride close. I would also like for it to be where I last out it so I know without any doubt when I reach for it to have a look it will be there and I will find it zero issue.That is why I use a retractor. Nice to reach down to where I know it is going to be and still be able to pull it up for a quick glance to check things. With that stupid little cloth strap thing it comes with you are lucky to easily find the hose and "reel" the computer in.

Well I'm liking the feedback so far. It sounds like there are more good ones now than bad. Now the question came to me of how do I make sure that when I buy one that it is not one that has been in stock for 2 years somewhere. Is there a way to know this or is it just a crap shoot on getting a fresh one? Glad to hear from you Ron and good to know you're still around for trouble shooting.

You should be able to interface with your home computer {comes with the cable} to check which software version and updates have been installed. I don't see why you couldn't return it for the latest one. Atomic is a great company when it comes to customer service. I think if you go to a good dive shop that is a dealer for Atomic they will order you the latest model. I could be wrong but it was my understanding that most of the issues were with the first Cobalt, not so much the Cobalt II.

Yes sir, that would certainly work on a dive no problem, but it wouldn't allow for the very close fitted protective cover to go on the computer when out of the water. The protective cover is a very nice feature and it works real well to protect and keep the computer out of harms way. I actually used a small {like the diameter of a dime} stainless split ring in the slot. Then I can snap on my retractor to that. Sure would have been nice to have room in the cover for a snap of some kind...that would have just as effectively solved the problem as a big enough slot on the computer.
The other problem is that the more "items" that need to be attached between the computer and a BC cause it to not ride close to you during a dive. I mean, don't get me wrong, I know the computer doesn't have to be slam chock tight to me the whole dive, but I would like it to ride close. I would also like for it to be where I last out it so I know without any doubt when I reach for it to have a look it will be there and I will find it zero issue.That is why I use a retractor. Nice to reach down to where I know it is going to be and still be able to pull it up for a quick glance to check things. With that stupid little cloth strap thing it comes with you are lucky to easily find the hose and "reel" the computer in.
Oh, of course, the custom, close fitting cover, how silly of me :). Sounds like you figured out how to deal with the small slot and the protective cover.

Back
Top Bottom