Coating not on bottom of new tank

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

soamelt

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have new Worthington tank that I just purchased, but the bottom of it doesn't look like it has the same coating as the rest of the tank. It looks like it went through a sander or somthing. Is that normal? Do I need to paint that part or return the tank?

Attachments

• bottom1.JPG
    bottom1.JPG
    280.4 KB · Views: 63
  • bottom2.JPG
    bottom2.JPG
    284.2 KB · Views: 53
  • bottom31.JPG
    bottom31.JPG
    264.8 KB · Views: 62
Hi im new to this and not yet certified, But with my experience with metal working that looks like someone took a grinder to it. Did you buy it new or used

I have new Worthington tank that I just purchased, but the bottom of it doesn't look like it has the same coating as the rest of the tank. It looks like it went through a sander or somthing. Is that normal? Do I need to paint that part or return the tank?

It looks like there may have been some galvanized flashing leftover from the galvanizing process and they ground it off to make it smooth. It doesn't look like they ground through galvanizing so you should be okay. If they ground through it and into the steel of the tank, that would be an issue. If you bought it from your LDS, have them inspect it and even if they say it's good to go, I'd photo document it (as you already have) in case that area begins to rust down the road.

Hi im new to this and not yet certified, But with my experience with metal working that looks like someone took a grinder to it. Did you buy it new or used

Bought it new online.

It looks like there may have been some galvanized flashing leftover from the galvanizing process and they ground it off to make it smooth. It doesn't look like they ground through galvanizing so you should be okay. If they ground through it and into the steel of the tank, that would be an issue. If you bought it from your LDS, have them inspect it and even if they say it's good to go, I'd photo document it (as you already have) in case that area begins to rust down the road.

Is it easy for a dive shop to tell if they went through the coating or not? It's definately shinier in that area, don't know if that's any indication of going through the coating or not.

You should be good. Take the photos, keep an eye on it for possible rust (Worthington has a lifetime replacement warranty on them) and go diving.

Don't worry about it unless there is no boot on it to prevent boat damage. It is excess zinc from galvanizing.

If nothing else you have an extra anode on your tank to help prevent rust!!!!

Thanks for all the responses. I contacted XS and they said the also said it was excess zinc that was just grinded off. The tank is fine, if there's ever rust it's under lifetime warranty.

One thing I found interesting was that I mentioned having the tank/valve O2 cleaned and he said he never O2 clean one of their brand new valves. They already have Viton O rings and Christolube 111(?). Even though my LDS partial blends, he said you can't really do anything to make the valve 100% clean. There's nothing that can be done to the valve that has already been done. No sense in risking taking apart a brand new valve.

My question now is, do shops require you to have some sticker saying your tanks/valve are O2 cleaned before they fill?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom