Coastguard Oops

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

how dare they get in the way of the USCG, don't they know the .gov has right of way regardless!?!?!

what a bunch of freaking morons. they saw the boat coming and still didn't slow down, even when the other boat had the right of way.

I hope that guy sues the *** off those morons.

Actually, the Coasties *did* have the right of way.

Rules of the road:

-Divers have right of way in ALL cases.
-Power boats yield to sailboats.
-Smaller boats yield to large commercial vessels.
-If two power boats are crossing paths, you yield to the boat on your PORT side, if you are on their STARBOARD side. (The smaller boat was starboard of the Coast Guard).

They'll be lucky if the CG doesn't cite *them* for damages (and stupidity - neither of the small boat riders were watching their forward trajectory, much less looking all around).

Then again... if the Stand On vessel (the Coast Guard) sees an imminent collision for any reason, then they should have yielded to the Give Way vessel.

Bottom Line... they both wish it wasn't caught on tape...

The boat on the right has the right away when crossing.

regarless, it was preventable as the coast guard clearly saw them and tried to hail them over the radio. Most smaller speedboats don't carry marine VHF and you couldn't have heard it at that speed in an open cockpick anyway. Idiot CG should have slowed down regardless of who was "right".

I'm not dumb enough to wreck my car when I have the right away on the highway just because some idiot pulls out in front of me in traffic.

Actually, the first rule of the road is: avoid collision!

Actually, the Coasties *did* have the right of way.

Rules of the road:

-Divers have right of way in ALL cases.
-Power boats yield to sailboats.
-Smaller boats yield to large commercial vessels.
-If two power boats are crossing paths, you yield to the boat on your PORT side, if you are on their STARBOARD side. (The smaller boat was starboard of the Coast Guard).

They'll be lucky if the CG doesn't cite *them* for damages (and stupidity - neither of the small boat riders were watching their forward trajectory, much less looking all around).

Then again... if the Stand On vessel (the Coast Guard) sees an imminent collision for any reason, then they should have yielded to the Give Way vessel.

Bottom Line... they both wish it wasn't caught on tape...

You got that right! Golden rule: There is always a tape!

Dave

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom