Coast Guard searching for missing diver off Palm Beach 17Mar2022

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Divin'Papaw

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999

Text:

PALM BEACH, Fla. — Multiple agencies are searching for a missing diver off the coast of Palm Beach on Thursday.

The U.S. Coast Guard tweeted around 12:30 p.m. that Robert Macintyre, 58, was last seen diving Thursday morning near the Lake Worth Inlet, which runs between the island of Palm Beach and Palm Beach Shores.

Macintyre was reportedly wearing a black wetsuit and had a silver oxygen tank, the Coast Guard said.

The Coast Guard said partner agencies are assisting in the search.

If you have any information about Macintyre's whereabouts, call the U.S. Coast Guard Sector Miami at 305-535-4472.

None of the regular charters have any info and not involved. BHB high tide was 8:30am so all morning it was an outgoing tide. The cams are all pure flat and no waves so you could see a diver for a mile easy. Hundreds of fishing / pleasure boats are on the water today since it's spring break and the hotels are about sold out. If he's on the surface, there's a thousand eyes that would see him.

None of the regular charters have any info and not involved. BHB high tide was 8:30am so all morning it was an outgoing tide. The cams are all pure flat and no waves so you could see a diver for a mile easy. Hundreds of fishing / pleasure boats are on the water today since it's spring break and the hotels are about sold out. If he's on the surface, there's a thousand eyes that would see him.

I was thinking the exact same things @Johnoly. Probably diving off a private boat. I told my wife that if he’s not found soon given the above factors, that’s not good.

"The Coast Guard said Macintyre was on a dive boat called The Republic IV with a group of divers about six nautical miles northeast of the Inlet." https://cbs12.com/news/local/robert...er-lake-worth-inlet-united-states-coast-guard

" He is from Massachusetts." https://www.wpbf.com/article/florida-lake-worth-inlet-missing-diver-coast-guard/39464696

Interesting. That's a Jupiter Dive Center boat. It runs out of the Jupiter Inlet which, as it says, is several miles north of the Lake Worth Inlet. They dive the sites off of Jupiter and Juno Beach primarily.

The statement “the dive was scheduled to last 34 to 45 minutes” is a bit perplexing. Typically these are 60 minute (max) drift dives (with the majority of the local dive ops).

The statement “the dive was scheduled to last 34 to 45 minutes” is a bit perplexing. Typically these are 60 minute (max) drift dives (with the majority of the local dive ops).
JDC limits time on Juno ledge to 45 min on nitrox. Most of my dive with them are 52-53min total time

JDC allows 45 minutes of bottom time for nitrox divers and 30 minutes for air drivers. My typical total dive time when diving off of their boats is 52 to 55 minutes depending upon how much time I take on the ascent.

Back
Top Bottom