CO2 monitoring (and the X-CCR)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jeremy Williams

Contributor
Reaction score
By way of disclaimer, I'm interested in rebreather diving but I'm not certified on anything nor have I ever been. But I've been reading 'Mastering Rebreathers' (2nd Ed, Bozanic) and he mentions CO2 monitoring more than a few times. From his now-8-years-old perspective this was going to be an important safety evolution that was probably just over the horizon. It seems that progress wasn't so forthcoming...

It seems pretty clear that most CCRs sold today do not ship with any form of CO2 monitoring as standard. ScubaBoard frequently mentioned units including the rEVO, Liberty, and SF2, and many others don't even offer it as an option.

This 2016 Alert Diver article discusses the issue and mentions that six rebreathers offer some form of CO2 monitoring without mentioning which ones those are...

Alert Diver | Do You Know What You’re Breathing?

I understand that there are those that think this is a completely unnecessary feature and that if people pack their canisters correctly and monitor their stack time that everyone will always be just fine. Problems with moisture and humidity not withstanding, I think a CO2 sensor seems like a good idea. As best I can tell for currently available new rebreathers...

AP Diving has one for the Vision-based units as an option...
Introducing the AP Diving CO2 Sensor and Cell Validator | AP Diving News

The VMS RedBare has one as standard...
VMS - Vobster Marine Systems

The X-CCR made by iQsub (distributed in the US by SubGravity) has one as standard...
X-CCR - SubGravity

Are there others?

The thing that really caught my eye on the X-CCR is that it's integrated into the Shearwater controller...

From the Release Notes...
NEW (X-CCR MODEL ONLY)
Adds support for CO2 sensors. Reports CO2 as the partial pressure of CO2 (PPCO2) in millibar. Alarms when PPCO2 is greater than 5 mbar. Allows user to calibrate the CO2 with a user specified parts-per-million (ppm). For example, in fresh outdoor air a value of 400 ppm should be used.

I have seen little discussion of the X-CCR here. Given the populatory of the Shearwater electronics I would think that this would be a pretty desirable combination? Thoughts?

28277337_10156059178305011_7305385085981533297_n.jpg

End Tidal CO2 monitoring is the holy grail of having some sort of useful metric to judge actual CO2 within the loop. End tidal CO2 monitors are used worldwide on a HUGELY regular basis as they are instrumental in the use of anesthetic. However, none of the available sensors on the market work in the high heat and humidity of a rebreather loop.

Several companies have tried alternative methods of CO2 measurement with varying levels of success. Things like rEvo's RMS system, temp sticks, etc. However, none of them measure end tidal CO2, which is the important one, and really the only accurate one as far as our needs are concerned.

I have seen little discussion of the X-CCR here. Given the populatory of the Shearwater electronics I would think that this would be a pretty desirable combination? Thoughts?

Thanks for the thread, your post could have been written by myself as an aspiring (not yet trained) rebreather diver.
End tidal co2 monitoring gives a reasonably accurate estimate of pulmonary arterial co2 partial pressure and that is probably the most important parameter to be monitored to detect a developing Co2 hit (I know this from my experience in anesthesia...)
But don't current loop Co2 probes still give useful information about the ability of the loop to ventilate (and scrub) CO2 from the body?

X-CCR seems a very desirable unit. Any news why its CE certification is pending?

Its not really that important IMO as it depends on your paradigm of operation. I don't want electronics to think for me and I continually keep my mind involved to keep the CCR from killing me.

I've bailed out plenty of times, if you have to think to bail out its too late.. bail out for a sanity check and then check the loop. Don't make a mistake and think you can stay on the loop if whatever electronics you use say its safe.

Yea, CO2 is a concern, but you'll learn to minimize its risks. I'd think more about flood tolerance and how the unit will meet your needs.

Tidal volume can be a concern if you find yourself in crazy current etc, but if you have an 8lb radial you'd have to be breathing like a rapped gorilla for an extended period to reach that limit.

I have over breathed my Meg several times. A co2 monitor would do no good. Co2 hit can happen in seconds...Best thing is to learn how to breath on a rebreather.

Before I started diving a rebreather CO2 (and monitoring) was a big concern. Now PPO2 monitoring is my biggest concern, and frankly O2 cells suck. I'd trade better and more reliable O2 monitoring in a heartbeat over CO2 monitoring.

End Tidal CO2 monitoring is the holy grail of having some sort of useful metric to judge actual CO2 within the loop.

I think that's what we're talking about here. Although 'End Tidal CO2 monitoring' has a specific medical definition, the systems I linked are (at least attempting) to directly measure the CO2 content in the loop. This is different than the systems that attempt to measure the scrubber temperature to achieve an indirect measurement of scrubber effectiveness.

Any news why its CE certification is pending?

Some random post on Facebook that I saw indicated that it was in stage 5 (i.e. Documentation) but who knows if that's true?

I did find another post that had better pictures of the X-CCR controller features...

XCCR rebreather

Its not really that important IMO as it depends on your paradigm of operation. I don't want electronics to think for me and I continually keep my mind involved to keep the CCR from killing me. I've bailed out plenty of times, if you have to think to bail out its too late.. bail out for a sanity check and then check the loop.

I think it's reasonable for people to do what they think is safest but I think this seems backwards. The electronics don't actually do anything in response to high ppCO2. It's a matter of displaying the data (and alarming above the threshold). What do you check on the loop after you bail out if you think you have a co2 problem and you don't have a co2 sensor? There is literally nothing to check.

I think that's what we're talking about here. Although 'End Tidal CO2 monitoring' has a specific medical definition, the systems I linked are (at least attempting) to directly measure the CO2 content in the loop. This is different than the systems that attempt to measure the scrubber temperature to achieve an indirect measurement of scrubber effectiveness.
It is more useful to see how much CO2 you are exhaling. Whether it’s because of overexertion or a scrubber problem, the fact that you are exhaling more than the baseline plus some margin is a clear sign of an issue. End-tidal sensors in medicine normally show the CO2 in the inhaled breath too, which should detect issues with the scrubber in the inhaled CO2 rises above some baseline.

But all this stuff is very hard to do in the environment of a rebreather, much less do it affordably and compactly.

Hi guys,

I have written an article for Dive New Zealand magazine on this. I will paste the content below - but that is why it sounds like an article. There is a bit of CO2 physiology background first.

CO2 is produced in the tissues during the utilisation of oxygen. It is eliminated from the body by breathing, and the more we breathe the more CO2 is eliminated. Breathing to eliminate CO2 is usually precisely controlled by the brain to keep CO2 in the body at a stable level. If CO2 levels rise, the brain will ‘drive’ more breathing to bring CO2 back to normal and vice versa. This is a completely automatic function which takes place without us thinking about it.

This normal process of CO2 control can be disturbed in diving because of an increase in the work required to breathe. The work of breathing increases because we are respiring a denser gas through a regulator or rebreather. In some people more than others, when the work of breathing rises the brain seems less sensitive to rising levels of CO2 and will avoid driving the extra breathing work required to keep CO2 levels normal. Thus, when underwater, divers are prone to having body CO2 levels rise, particularly when exercising and when the work of breathing is high, simply because they don’t breathe enough to eliminate the CO2 being produced. This phenomenon can occur during use of any underwater breathing apparatus (including open circuit scuba and rebreathers) and is referred to as “CO2 retention”.

Another cause of increased CO2 levels during diving is inhalation of CO2 during breathing. CO2 inhalation is a specific hazard of rebreather diving because these devices recycle the exhaled gas which is then “rebreathed”. The CO2 must be removed from the exhaled gas and this is achieved by a CO2 ”scrubber” canister which contains a granular chemical compound called “soda lime” which absorbs CO2. Soda lime has a limited absorption capacity and must be replaced regularly. If the scrubber fails for some reason (such as the soda lime becoming exhausted, incorrect installation of the canister, or failure to install it at all!) the diver will inhale CO2 and breathing becomes much less efficient at removing CO2 from the lungs. CO2 levels in the body can increase even if the diver breathes heavily. The more CO2 is inhaled, the worse this problem is likely to be.

This double hazard of CO2 in rebreather diving understandably raises questions about whether CO2 can be monitored when diving rebreathers. The answer is yes, but this is where things can get a little confusing. The first thing to clearly understand is that all of the monitoring systems currently available in rebreathers are focussed on the prediction or detection of inhaled CO2, that is CO2 breaking through the scrubber. I will focus on these first, before moving on to the slightly more complicated topic of systems capable of measuring CO2 levels in the diver.

Inhaled CO2 detection

Warning systems for inhaled CO2 take two forms: temperature sticks and CO2 monitors.

Temperature sticks are designed to indicate when a scrubber has reached the end of its capacity to absorb CO2, and therefore the point at which CO2 could begin to break through and be re-inhaled. They do this by monitoring the temperature change through the scrubber as the soda lime gradually becomes exhausted, and this segues into the key point about these devices: they don’t actually detect CO2 when it breaks through the scrubber; they simply predict when it is likely to occur. We have just finished a fairly comprehensive investigation of how accurately they achieve this in both the Inspiration and Revo rebreathers. The data are about to be submitted for publication, and I cannot reproduce them here. However, it is a fair summary to say that temp sticks work well. I will describe those data in detail once they are published. Returning to the point that temp sticks don’t actually detect CO2, an important corollary is that they can’t detect or predict CO2 breakthrough because (for example) of a fault with scrubber installation. Only a CO2 monitor can do that.

CO2 monitors are effectively gas analysers which use infra-red light absorbance technology to detect CO2 in gas. Thus, the gas downstream of the scrubber is analysed for CO2 (if the scrubber is working well there should be none) before it is inhaled by the diver. If inhaled CO2 levels exceed a threshold (usually set around 5 millibars) then an alarm state is activated. Only a few rebreathers offer these devices, and their uptake and review by users has been mixed. The principal challenge with them is that the infra-red absorbance system does not like moisture, and in the 100% humidity environment of a rebreather loop they are prone to giving false positive alarms. We tested the Inspiration version of this device and found it to be reliable provided the user is fastidious in following moisture protection guidelines.

If you cast your mind back to the introduction where we talked about the mechanisms of CO2 problems, the obvious vulnerability of inhaled CO2 detection systems is that while they can tell us if we are inhaling CO2, they cannot detect CO2 retention by the diver. Remember, a diver may fail to breathe enough to eliminate all CO2 produced and retain CO2, even if there is no CO2 inhalation.

Measuring CO2 levels in the diver

The only way to detect high levels of CO2 in the diver, whether the cause is CO2 rebreathing or retention due to inadequate breathing, is to measure CO2 in the exhaled breath. The principle underpinning this strategy is that the composition of the gas in the alveoli (small air sacks) of the lungs is in approximate equilibrium with the gas pressures in the arterial blood. Therefore, if we can measure the PCO2 in the alveolar gas, then we have a good estimation of the CO2 levels in the diver’s blood. To ensure that we are measuring alveolar gas we wait until the very end of the exhalation because at that point all the gas coming out of the divers mouth should be coming from the alveoli. That is why these measurements are referred to as ‘end tidal CO2’ measurements.

This strategy is used in operating theatres all over the world every day to monitor CO2 levels in patients undergoing anaesthesia. Unfortunately it is not as simple as it sounds. One either has to have one of the infrared sensors described above positioned right at the mouth, or gas has to be sampled from the mouthpiece and passed to an analyser nearby (the latter is the most common method in an operating room). Neither strategy would be easy in a rebreather. Putting an infrared sensor in the mouthpiece is tricky both because of space and humidity, and sampling to a remote sensor would require a lot of power to drive the sampling pump. In addition, whereas detection of CO2 in inhaled gas does not need to be particularly accurate (its presence or absence is the main issue), if we are going to base dive management decisions on end tidal CO2, the measurements have to be very accurate because it is a tightly controlled physiological parameter.

Accurate and reliable end tidal CO2 measurements in a rebreather would be a very useful feature, but no device has currently achieved this. One manufacturer has promised end tidal CO2 for over a decade but it has never materialised. Indeed, the original proposal to measure it was flawed and it is unclear whether subsequent modifications to the system will work. Hopefully it is something to look forward to in the future.

Simon M

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom