CO Analyzer Calibration

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Zinc

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Out of curiosity, how are these calibrated and what's the sensor-life like?

I like the Analox 02 Analyzer and simply calibrate on 20.9 ambient air. How does is work with CO?

Thanks!

One way I saw is to buy a tank of cal gas ($19.95 from analox, or less than that at Airgas) put the analyzer in a ziploc, and squirt the cal gas in the ziploc. At the low threshold of analysis, I think you're really looking for response, not necessarily accuracy. OTOH, you can snug the analyzer right up to the cal gas and let her rip. Once you fill the little black globe with cal gas, you won't be too far off. As to cells, electro-chemical cells last between 1 and 3 years, depending on use and storage conditions. YMMV

Hi ya Zinc and Wookie,

The Analox EIICO only requires "calibration" when the sensor is changed. We do, however, require that the diver performs a "bump test" prior to using the EIICO to ensure the sensor is reacting to CO. We sell a little 4 liter 10 ppm CO bump gas that when sprayed into the EIICO will demonstrate that the sensor is working. Basically, while in fresh air, just power on the EIICO and "zero" it using the calibration knob. You can bump test with the 10 ppm CO or in a pinch, simply exhale into the flow restrictor. Healthy, non-smoking, divers exhale 1 - 2 ppm Carbom Monoxide as a part of normal lung function. This is great if you are without bump gas! The sensor carried a 1 year warranty with a two year expected sensor life.

Are replacement sensors shipped calibrated or can authorised sellers supply, fit and calibrate them. What is required after the original sensor needs to be replaced?

The sensor carried a 1 year warranty with a two year expected sensor life.

Interesting. I called yesterday and was told that the sensor has a 2 year "graded" warranty. That's the same info that is on the web site. I was also told that a replacement sensor is about $240, or about 80% of the cost of a whole new analyzer.

I'm trying to decide between the slick, easy Analox and the less convenient Oxycheq. So any clarification you can provide would be welcome.

Hi ya kwinter,

First, the replacement sensor is $158.00. My apologies as you received the wrong price from my office staff. Our datasheet does indeed list a two year graded warranty on the sensor life. As long as the senor reacts to the bump test, it is working. I will replace my sensor every two years.

Reactions: Tug
Patti, thanks for the update on the sensor price :thumb:

Are replacement sensors shipped calibrated or can authorised sellers supply, fit and calibrate them. What is required after the original sensor needs to be replaced?

Patti,

Do you have an answer for this one? Im interested in what is required to replace the original senser after two years. Is it simply unplug and replace with a factory calibrated unit or is it fit and then calibrate? Do i need to buy cal gas for the swap out or can resellers do the job?

Patti,

Do you have an answer for this one? Im interested in what is required to replace the original senser after two years. Is it simply unplug and replace with a factory calibrated unit or is it fit and then calibrate? Do i need to buy cal gas for the swap out or can resellers do the job?

Hi Goferrin99,

With the EIICO you basically have options...the reason for this is you could, in fact, simply drop in the replacement sensor, manually zero and bump test and use the EIICO with the same level of accuracy (or better) as our competitors who are currently saying you don't need to calibrate thier CO Monitors. Analox is a well respected manufacturer of high quality, highly accurate analyzers and therefore we are compelled to offer you the ability to get the most accurate readings from our analyzers...which looks like this:

"Span Calibration
To meet the factory calibration specifications given in section 9, span calibration is required every 6 months. See section 10 for details on calibration kits available.
For reduced accuracy operation, the EII CO can be used as a go / no go test provided that the unit passes a zero set and bump test as specified in section 3.
Alternatively, contact an Analox approved service centre for span calibration. A full list of service centres can be found on the Analox website (www.analox.net)"

Essentially, you can go "plug and play" and the EIICO will still protect you from dangerous levels of CO. If you choose either you or an Authorized Service Center (Dive Shop or Analox) CAN calibrate the EIICO for precise CO readings.

Back
Top Bottom