Clueless and seeking advise

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

EMTPDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Hi, I am a diver from Alaska interested in visiting the Bahamas with my family soon. I am looking for ideas and local wisdom regarding where to go, when to be there, how to get there, what spots to dive, and what services are available.

First of all,what is the best time of year to visit...keeping in mind that my wife and I will be diving, and our two daughters (1 and 3 years old) will want some beach time? I would hate to show up during storm season. Is there a "best time if year" to visit?

It would seem to me, based on poking around on expedia.com, that the cheapest and easiest way to get there is to fly into Nassau from Miami. Does that sound right so far? If I took my clan to Nassau, will that put us in a good place to enjoy a handful of dives...or should I get further off the beaten path? Granted, I want to experience some spectacular diving, but also want to keep my costs relatively low. Where should I go, and if it is another city or island, what will be the best way to get there?

Next, given that I have taken advice rendered from the answering of my previous question, what dive sites should I try to visit? I have about 25 dives under my belt, and my wife about half that, so we are newbies...but we don't need our hands held either. We will likely be bringing out own gear with the exception of tanks, so a gear shop in reasonably close proximity will be helpful.

Well, I'll let these questions float around awhile, and ask more as I think of them. Any help from locals or other folk who have visited the area would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a bunch, I hope this Christmas brings lots of happiness and awesome underwater memories for all of you.

I like staying at Orange Hill. It's in Nassau but away from all the "touristy" areas. It's a nice, simple motel frequented by a lot of divers. The cost is only a little over 100 each night. There is a beautiful and quiet beach about 150 yards away. Each day I shared the beach with maybe 4 people. Locals like going there because there aren't any crowds. I dove with Stuart Cove. I don't have many more dives than you do at this point. When I went in April I was newly certified and this was my first official "out of training" dive. I had a blast!! I did 5 days in a row of 2-tank dives and also did the shark dive. Stuart Cove pics you up each day and drops you back off after the dive.
Go to Fodors website to find other things to do while in Nassau. They make the best travel books (in my opinion).
The time to go is Dec-May for the best weather. I am going back in Feb and doing basically the same thing I did in April. If you have any other questions, let me know.

Orange Hill Beach Inn - Our family welcomes you to our hotel and Nassau Bahamas
Stuart Cove's, Nassau Bahamas diving, snorkeling, and subs

Brian

An additional note in case you wonder about water temps. The deepest depth I hit was at 100' and the coldest my computer showed was 76 degrees. I was wearing board shorts the whole vacation! That's my kind of water:wink:

We really enjoyed diving with Stuart Coves several years ago because they have so many wrecks (artificial reefs) to choose from.
Ber :lilbunny:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom