Club Med Turks & Caicos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

amybmak

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello out there! Has anyone here been diving in Turks & Caicos with Club Med? Wondering what the operation and diving are like?

Is the dive shop on site?
What are the boats like?
How's the equipment?
How's the staff?
What's the schedule like?
Anything else you think I should know?

I've heard great things about the diving in Turks & Caicos and also take trapeze classes at home, so Club Med seems like the best of both worlds for me. Anyone have any recent experiences there (good or bad)?

My background: PADI Open Water, 90+ dives, all in the Caribbean, mostly boat dives.

Thanks!

My wife and I have been to CM T&C 5 or more times, and the CM Columbus Isle 2 times. Both have excellent dive operations. We did two club courses on consecutive visits and they provided the impetus for getting certified which we did in Key Largo. We have returned to T&C once post cert and twice to Columbus Isle. In both places, there is one dive boat plus a separate snorkel boat at each place. The dive boat is big and very stable thing that can carry about 40 divers. Some would regard the situation as involving cattle boats. We did experience full boats. However, the divers are not managed like a herd. Rather, they are subdivided into groups of 4-8, depending upon experience. One group may consist of students doing OW dives, another doing AOW lessons, groups paying extra for a dive leader or groups with members who are certifiied and who will be diving as buddies. Early on in our post-cert diving history, we asked to follow an instructor leading a small group and did that for an entire trip. Later, when we were much more confident with our own skills and navigation, we met for pre-dive briefing as a group with other sets of buddies. Then, we were given free reign to dive on our own for the specified dive length which was always an hour. Buddy divers were first off and last on; other groups had dive durations ranging from 40-50 min depending on needs. In other words, although the boats were often more than half full, things never seemed crowded.

The AM two tank dives left the dock about 9AM (we never did PM dives) always had baguettes, cheese, old cuts, melon and water for consumption after dives. Most of the dives were deep-ish and had strongly recommended safety stops and a 30-60 min surface interval.

There is not really a "dive shop," but there is a dive op right on site at both T&C/Columbus Isle. It has been a while since we used the gear provided (we typically bring our own), but I remember it as being quite new. They have a gear storage/dispensing area and a gear repair person on site. Turn-over is fairly high at Club Meds. Even if the instructors do not leave Club Med, they may move to another after a year or so. We have found the instructor staff to vary from outstanding to mediocre. In general, everyone tries to be helpful and polite.

As for the trapeze, my two daughters in their 20's loved it! Even I took one turn (I was 62 at the time). The T&C club is livelier than the Columbus Isle club, the average age of the latter being 10-15 greater than at T&C and it also has a higher percentage of French speakers. The diving at both is good and always had excellent vis. We have only been to these places in January except for once at Columbus Isle in June.

Thanks! That's exactly the information I was looking for. One more quick question... I'm travelling alone. Is it usually pretty easy to find someone to buddy up with or will I be stuck in a group with a DM?

I don't know the answer to that question because I really haven't paid attention to the buddy issue. My dim recollection is that there were always unmatched buddies in the "buddy" group. I cannot recall anyone being forced into any particular situation. The dive masters tend to be laid back and helpful. When you arrive at the Club, you will probably have an introductory opportunity to meet with the dive masters as a group and to register as a diver, including filling in the paperwork. At that point, mention that you will need a buddy. The dive masters can start looking and asking on your behalf.

Hi Imorin.

Usually they will assign a buddy and if no buddy is available then you'll dive with one of the instructors. I always arrive without buddy and have always been lucky in getting a good one :)

If you would like to have more information on the diving operation at Turks or any other Club Med then I would suggest you take a look at Club Med Planet. Past and present G.O's hang out there and they will probably be able to answer all your questions. It's a fan site :)

Have fun and I wish I was there again

Cheers
Mike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom