Clownfish Eggs in Amed, Bali (Lumix LX10)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

afieldofblue

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Hello all,

There’s been a lot of spawning/nesting action in the past few weeks over in east Bali's Amed / Tulamben area, and here are a few shots of saddleback clownfish (Amphiprion polymnus, now also commonly known as Nemos...) egg patches, and showing their evolution over time ☺️

🖥️ A Field of Blue / @afieldofblue 🖥️
🎥 Filmed on a Panasonic Lumix LX10 in a Nauticam housing, 4K, 30fps 🎥
🎧 Music base: "L'univers De La Mer" by Dominique Guiot 🎧

⚙️Equipment: Panasonic Lumix LX10 (LX15/LX9 in some locales) in a Nauticam housing, AOI UCL-09 closeup lens, Inon UCL-165M67 closeup lens, Backscatter Macromate Mini +15 closeup lens - Backscatter MW 4300 video light, two Archon D11V2 video lights, homemade quadripod ⚙️

cheers!

ben

It's remarkable footage. (And, a great little camera too!)

Very cool--thanks for posting it, and kudos for the dedication to task. (Did you get bitten? My partner has a scar on her lip from an anemonefish hit a few months ago)

It's remarkable footage. (And, a great little camera too!)
Thanks! Yep, the LX10 is great - interestingly, with the 36mm crop in 4K video, it seems to do better in macro video than for photos. ☺️

Very cool--thanks for posting it, and kudos for the dedication to task. (Did you get bitten? My partner has a scar on her lip from an anemonefish hit a few months ago)
Yep, they're really defending those eggs!
i've found a way to approach which seems to work better. I setup close to the anemone (roughly on the border where the clownfish start snapping and making gnaping sounds at any intruders), then staying as low as possible, I slowly bring the camera in closer (it's on a quadripod, so I don't need to hold it).

The camera itself doesn't seem to bother them as much as a moving animal, so once they're used to it I fine tune and start shooting.

The only bite I got was on the knuckle, adjusting the focus knob on the side of the camera (didn't like a moving hand getting closer to the egg patch I guess).
Once all is good I move out, and leave the camera, only repeating to change angles etc.

Taking it slow, it works quite well!
cheers
b

I do NOT want to steal the thunder from ben's film above. It's remarkable. But, on a related note, I just released this little film on clownfish this week. It was shot just around the corner from him in the Philippines. I think I came home Puerto Galera with 4 or 5 hours of anemonefish footage. (Shot with the LX-10.) They're photogenic little fellas.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom