cloth covers / mold

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

slackercruster

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
What is the purpose of the cloth covers on the inhalation and exhalation hoses?

On another note. I heard mold is an issue with rebreathers. The ridged design of these hoses must be mold traps. Have you had much problem with mold?

Thanks

The cloth covers are for insulation. In cold water diving they can extend the life of the scrubber. Mold can be an issue with RB's, but this is easy to mitigate w/ proper cleaning and storage.

I've never heard of mold under the cloth covers of the loop. Most of the time they are kept on with velcro so are taken off as part of maintenance. Mold in other areas should be killed with the appropriate cleaner but you do get some residual staining if you don't clean the lungs often enough (guilty).

Most CCR divers use something like Virkon/Relyon today. It will kill bird flu and all the other big time wee beasties. Back in the day Betadine was used, very efficient and very staining.
Rmemeber to rinse well and store in a dry place. If it's been awhile since diving then disinfect again before use.
Bill

I've never heard of mold under the cloth covers of the loop. Most of the time they are kept on with velcro so are taken off as part of maintenance. Mold in other areas should be killed with the appropriate cleaner but you do get some residual staining if you don't clean the lungs often enough (guilty).

I think he was talking about mold in the rebreather, not on the loop covers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom