Close encounter of the 8th kind (8 legged that is...)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kidspot

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Had my first encounter with an octopus today - sure I'd seen them dart into their holes, or peer out with those eyes from the dark recesses of their lairs, but never gotten much interaction with them. Following today's class (rescue diver) the instructor and I went for a "fun dive" (as we have done after each class) Turns out he's really good at spotting Octopus, he coaxes one out of hiding and lets it swim around his hands, then pushes it away so it can swim back home. Instead it swam toward me. I put up my hand as it gently bumped into it, then quickly sought the closest point of refuge available... My mask. It was only a small octopus, perhaps 1/2 pound. But it promptly covered the left half of my mask and face. I attempted to gently pull it off, but he was determined to keep his new home for the moment. It was amazing to see all the little suction cups hard at work as he settled down atop his new mountain top home. After a few moments I could see my instructor out of the remaining portion of my mask motioning to put my face by the bottom, so I inverted and put my face right next to his old home - he quickly traded the view for the safety of his little cave and we parted ways. But what an amazing little animal they are...

Tim

Thats really cool, I love those guys.

I've been told that they are very pressure sensitive. If you ascend a few feet they will know your going up and let go. Never had a chance to try it though.

TT

I'll have to remember that, but it was amazing watching him voluntarily go back home like he did :D

I've got two octopus stories. The first wasn't such a good experience for me. I was about 12 years old or so, and had found a little octopus in a clam shell at my dad's house. Being young and stupid, I didn't know that octopus could change color, and this one was a dark red. My brother and I played with him for a little while in our hands, and I let the little guy "walk" down my arm. He got about 3/4ths of the way, then decided he wanted to take a bite out of my arm. OUCH! I also found out another interesting fact that day - an octopus has venom! Luckily we were able to confine the swelling, and I still have the scar today.

The other happend about five years later in the keys when my step-dad found an octopus who was about 12 inches across (before he stretched his arms out) and I decided the best place for him was on my mask with his tentacles wrapped around my head. It made for a nice picture, and eventually, the octopus let go and swam to a crevice in the coral. A much better experience this time. He seemed content to "play" with us as he was light gray in color.

kidspot:
Had my first encounter with an octopus today - sure I'd seen them dart into their holes, or peer out with those eyes from the dark recesses of their lairs, but never gotten much interaction with them. Following today's class (rescue diver) the instructor and I went for a "fun dive" (as we have done after each class) Turns out he's really good at spotting Octopus, he coaxes one out of hiding and lets it swim around his hands, then pushes it away so it can swim back home. Instead it swam toward me. I put up my hand as it gently bumped into it, then quickly sought the closest point of refuge available... My mask. It was only a small octopus, perhaps 1/2 pound. But it promptly covered the left half of my mask and face. I attempted to gently pull it off, but he was determined to keep his new home for the moment. It was amazing to see all the little suction cups hard at work as he settled down atop his new mountain top home. After a few moments I could see my instructor out of the remaining portion of my mask motioning to put my face by the bottom, so I inverted and put my face right next to his old home - he quickly traded the view for the safety of his little cave and we parted ways. But what an amazing little animal they are...

Tim

Didn't you learn that skill in your basic OW class - "how to clear an octopus from your mask underwater"?
:eek:ctopus: :diver:

Aren't they fun? I love playing hide and seek with them, you go up - they go down and vice versa....To interact with them is a treat any day of the week.

MoonWrasse:
Didn't you learn that skill in your basic OW class - "how to clear an octopus from your mask underwater"?
:eek:ctopus: :diver:

bummer - we missed that skill... too busy clearing the bottom of all the sand I guess... at least we got most of it up off the floor and into the water column :wink:

Tim

MoonWrasse:

Yeah, nobody uses real octopus anymore. Nowadays it's some stupid piece of plastic attached to your 1st stage. How lame.

archman:
Yeah, nobody uses real octopus anymore. Nowadays it's some stupid piece of plastic attached to your 1st stage. How lame.

ROFLMAO!

I believe he was doing his rescue diver class, hmm, "here's my octopus, breathe from it". :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom