Close call for 2 divers off SC coast

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NOVIZWHIZ

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Beaufort, SC - 6/28/06
The Coast Guard is searching for a man whose boat sank Tuesday morning near the Betsy Ross Reef when he and his friend were out on a diving trip.
One man was recovered by a helicopter at about 10:30 p.m. Tuesday after almost 12 hours in the water with a life vest on, said Coast Guard Lt. Morgan Roper, who is stationed in Charleston. He is in good condition and back with the friends the two are vacationing with on Fripp Island, she said.

The two set out early Tuesday and anchored at the wreck, and after they came back up from the diving trip, the Offshore 21 started taking on water over the stern because of the rough waves, Roper said. The boat sank so fast, they only had time to call “mayday” a few times over their VHF radio at about 11:30 a.m., giving rescuers no specific location or boat to search for, she said.

NOTE: The SECOND man was recovered today by Coast Guard at approx 3 pm about 25 miles off the coast. He was in excellent condition after being in the water almost 28 hours. AMAZING - both are very lucky to be alive!

Glad they made it. There are a very specific set of rules when calling a mayday, not just yelling at the radio. "Mayday mayday mayday, this is vessel so and so at this location with this many people on board with this problem."

Yep, think they bent a few rules in regard to boating AND diving safely. Sea conditions were way beyond their expertise. Word I got was the boat was capsizing as he was broadcasting.......

A perfect example where an unsinkable Boston Whaler would have been handy. Some boats claim to be unsinkable, some actually are, Boston Whaler is one of them that actually are unsinkable. Of course any boat can capsize (as in turning uspside down) which might be yet another perfect example of why one might want to own a waterproof hand held VHF radio. N

Don't apologize for a common sense statement. I run water search and rescue out of Beaufort...my guys were out there the first night assisting in the search aboard 30 fters, most of them are a little crazy and they "called it" and headed in after a couple of hours.

Lucky guys. One of the reasons I don't dive in 7.5' seas anymore. Not smart to abandon the boat and leave it to go diving. Lucky guys.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom