Close call - flooded reg and DM at Blue Angel, Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BlueGirlGoes

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I've been mulling this for a month, and am finally able to write about it.

My BF (~40ish dives) and I (~120ish) dove last month at Blue Angel in Coz. Most of our dives were great, Edgar was our DM and was very thorough. One afternoon we were rushed onto a boat with Jose, nine or eleven divers. Jose was in a hurry, throwing regs onto tanks, forgetting to turn the air on in a couple of cases.

My "bad feeling" radar turned on, especially when he asked "How deep have you been?" One solo diver had been with us the day before and I knew he was brand-new. I made sure Jose knew this. He chose Deep Columbia, and told the newb "You'll be my buddy."

The newb (late sixties, weighted too heavily, I found out later, and diving with no computer) jumped in and descended to the bottom almost immediately. I have a hard time equalizing and was going down slowly. Jose was nowhere near the newb, and my BF (M) and I went after him. At 80 feet, my reg started leaking heavily, and I stopped. M kept going. Three or four other pairs of divers and Jose just started their dive. Jose was a good fifty feet away, and watching, but seemed to think we were "handling" it, or that there was nothing to handle. I don't know.

As M was bringing the newb back toward the group (putting a little air in his BC), I took in a breath that was pure ocean. Way too far away from my buddy. I fumbled for what seemed like ages (but was only seconds) before freeing my second, clearing it and gasping. I've never had a reg flood before. I still don't know exactly what happened. I just fought the worst sensation of my life and every nerve screaming to bolt for the surface.

M got back to me. I was panicked about the second failing, and we continued our dive above the others, at about thirty feet. The newb stayed with the group for a bit, then bottomed again. Jose was NEVER close to him. At the end of the dive, near the others, the newb completely blew his safety stop and surfaced. M, knowing what his profile must be, left me again and brought him back to 15 feet.

When we all got back on the boat, Jose said, "What happened?" and when I told him my reg flooded he said, "Use your second." Um, thanks. What amazed me was that the other couples disembarked saying, "Great dive, Jose!" Really? REALLY? (The newb later cheerfully admitted that he couldn't see his gauges, and mentioned he might get a prescription mask.)

I made myself dive again the next day (with another reg, and another DM, who was competent) just because I felt if I didn't, I'd never get in the water again.

Next month I plan to get my AOW, because I'm still thinking about that feeling, that being unable to breathe and that awful panic. And I'm going to buy my own reg. My BF feels terrible, but thinks he did the right thing, going after the old guy. (We'll be talking to our AOW instructor about this.)

I guess my questions are: did we do the right thing? Why did my reg fill with water? And, if it ever happens again, is there anything I can do better or differently?

Thanks for listening.

Did you do right,heck the DM being the A**hole,yes you did fine.
Why did your reg. fail,most likely a sucked in exhaust valve,what to do about it,well you did,switch to your second.

Go get your own reg.use it,treasure it and keep it in perfect working order.

Hey you just did fine.:D

It sounds like you handled your gas problem just fine!

As for whether your BF did the right thing by continuing to go for the solo diver, that's a tougher case. I think the biggest problem there was plain old buddy separation. You stopped, he kept going. Granted he was probably very focused on helping the poor guy, but the better outcome would have been for you two to communicate that something was wrong and you couldn't follow him down. Then you can decide whether you'd wait for him where you were, or whether you both should stick together, and instead signal the watching DM to come over and handle the problem. Not following your BF while dealing with a leaking reg was the right course of action.

Thanks ... I did the best I could and just wish I didn't still feel so spooked.

What I'm wondering is, if the DM didn't think there was a problem, and the other divers didn't think there was a problem, maybe we should've just enjoyed our dive (well, until my reg flooded) and carried on. But we'd met the old guy's wife the night before and it clearly appeared (to us) that he was in way over his head. He seemed oblivious on the boat after, but came up to thank us that night for "looking out" for him.

I've conveyed to my BF that I don't care if the baby Jesus and a basket of puppies are drowning ... when we're diving, I don't want him more than a breath away.

It's hard to say, and in the end I don't know if it's so much a question of diving protocol as it is one of morals/responsibility. You're not the guy's babysitter. And you may expose yourself to problems if you try (or start) to help without being able to carry through. But can you sit around and ignore someone in distress (even if they don't know they're in distress)?

Help, call for assistance, or ignore, however, all three alternatives should be discussed and made as a buddy pair.

I was the one who went after the guy first, with my BF following. (We were both Scouts, we're do-gooders.) But after we were at 30 ft, with me on my second, my BF's rationale was "you were stable and you know what you're doing, he'd just blown his safety stop." To be fair to the BF, he had NO IDEA how freaked out I was after taking in a full snoot of sea.

The main thing for me is that the two of us stay together, whether that's helping someone else or not. But I wish someone else on the dive had been willing to swim in - like maybe the DM being paid to do it - and I wish the newb had more sense. Hell, I wish I'd called the dive before we hit the water. I knew I couldn't trust the DM, and I should've gone with my gut.

It sounds like you did handle things well. Good or bad DM, a diver is primarily reliant on him/herself. Good buddy teams are key. Also, redundant air sources can be beneficial in these situations. This is the exact reason that I haven't used a rental reg since dive #5, 12 years ago. Get your own reg and treat it like what it is, life support equipment.

The combination of the vacation "insta-buddy" and Cozumel currents often leads to separation. A little inattention will split up a pair in no time. Once you're separated, the down-current buddy has to work like heck to get back "upstream" or try to get down in the coral/close to the bottom to lessen the current's effect and wait for his buddy to catch up.

Nice job of not panicking. You can go over scenarios on land and practice them in the pool or on dives, but you never really know how someone will react when it happens for real.

I knew I couldn't trust the DM, and I should've gone with my gut.

It certainly appears that you handled things well. Failures happen and that is why you took a scuba class.....to learn how to handle them.

As to what you were expected as you "trusted" the Dive Master, I don't know. Even on dives that are guided by a Dive Master, you are still responsible. The Dive Master is responsible for oversight of the entire group and can't be expected to be there to respond to everyone's "trouble".

Phil Ellis
Discount Scuba Gear at DiveSports.com - Buy Scuba Diving Equipment & Snorkeling Equipment

You both did well.

Your BF had no way of knowing that you'd have a reg issue just as he was going to the aid of the overweighted, underskilled solo newbie. Had he stayed with you and watched the newbie struggle (or worse), you'd think less of your BF. Right?

You did well by quelling that panic, thinking through your issue and going to your octo. Now. By a good reg, take good care of it and have it serviced annually. Rental stuff is always a crap shoot, especially in countries without a strong system of legal accountability.

When that voice tells you that the dive is f-ed up before it starts, seriously consider sitting that dive out. Experienced divers will understand.

Back
Top Bottom