Clocking your Button SPG

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NothingClever

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
First, I searched but did not find anything.

Second, this is not a debate about whether using a button SPG is DIR-compliant or is superfluous (because one should already know his deco gas volume).

I’m currently using a button SPG on each deco bottle. Perhaps in the future I’ll switch to a larger thin SPG on a 6” whip hose but for now, I’m using button SPGs on my deco bottles.

With that out of the way.....

Does anyone have a good technique for clocking the button SPG in the HP port so that it reads “right side up” for the diver in the bottle’s natural carrying position.

I have one button SPG that ends up perfectly aligned for easy reading when fully screwed in.

The other button SPG ends up upside down to my eyes when fully screwed in.

I have tried unscrewing the offending button SPG and “catching the threads” at a different point in the HP port but the face of the button SPG keeps ending up in the same orientation.

Perhaps adding an O-ring will give me a different orientation.

Anyways, I thought maybe somebody else out there had troubleshot the same dilemma with a well-thought solution.

Thanks in advance.

If you add an Oring it will extrude and leak.

Your only option is to either keep tightening the gauge until its close enough. Or live with the mis-clocking

If you add an Oring it will extrude and leak.

Your only option is to either keep tightening the gauge until its close enough. Or live with the mis-clocking

OP, just realize that your first stage is made from brass, perhaps your button gauge is too. Tightening too much can damage one or both.

Don't let "best" be the enemy of "good enough".

-Z

Thanks, lowviz - that’s a great lead.

Thanks, zef - good counsel on the softer materials involved and the timeless axiom (perfect is the enemy of good). Fortunately, I haven’t cranked anything down....just snugged up by hand.

Thanks, rjack - the extra o-ring was my best effort but I knew there had to be a better way. I’m going to give lowviz’s shim washer a try. If that doesn’t work, I’ll just live with it as you guys are suggesting.

Just keep buying new SPGs until you get one that clocks where you like it. Nobody ever said diving was cheap, except those first OW instructor of course.

only choice from big (20+) amount of button SPG in the Diveshop can helps you.
All other methods is unsafe.

We also using washers for adjusting SPG position, but special - soft copper washers.
All Soviet breathing apparatus use only(mostly) copper washers. It also compatible with oxygen :)
https://aliexpress.com/item/32962880745.html
But you have to find proper washer. You can use it together with rubber o-ring.
You have to find washer, that fits over thread, but less, than flange behind the thread.

Other way I use: I just have two values of air (of SPG measure) -
1 - Enough!
2 - Oppps!!!!

sonar-mini-spg-ak-202.jpg

Green scale - 1.
Red scale - 2.
Yellow scale - "Soon you will have Oppps!"

And does not matter, upside down it shows or normal orientation.

P.S. this washer shold be exact-fit for standard SPG:
https://aliexpress.com/item/32613627780.html
11x18x0.2
Copper-washer-M10-11mm-16mm-1mm-Copper-Flat-Washer-Seal-washer-Brass-washers-M3M22.jpg_220x220xz.jpg_.webp

according UNF-Gewinde ANSI/ASME B1.1 - outer diameter of UNF-7/16 thread is little greater than 11mm

We also using washers for adjusting SPG position, but special - soft copper washers.
Good call, I should have been more explicit as to material since it looks like the OP may try this.

McMaster-Carr

You now have two HP sealing surfaces to manage, One an O-ring and the other a metal-metal seal, thus copper. I would just go with the button, you only look at it once on the surface...

Edit:
OP, you may want this information too: How far a nut or bolt travels in one full turn | Fasteners, bolts, screws and more from Atlantic Fasteners

I have them on my main regs just in case my transmitters fail. Same thing one is proper orientation and one is upside down.
I just deal with it I find them a pain to read exact anyways underwater so I really just use it to check tank pressures in between diving so I don’t have to pull out my computer haha
Go with actual SPGs and make your life easier. All my deco regs have SPG on 6” hoses

McMaster-Carr for the win!

I don’t have access to them right now but when I do, that will be the first stop.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom