Climate change: tropical heatwave wipes out ocean forests off WA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

John A Lewis

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
This terribly sad for me, as the diving off Western Australia is near and dear to me. It's the part of the world where I got my Scuba Instructor certification, and have many fond memories of the sites, sights, and people there.

Full article can be seen at Nocookies

Here's another, same topic:

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...-study-reveals

Last edited:

Attachments

• rick-scott.jpg
    rick-scott.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 56
Your link is...
You've reached a subscriber-only article.

Thanks--noticed this after posting so I also put up the second linked article on the same topic.

Even though I could read the original article off of Google news, apparently pay walls are becoming a hard reality in other parts of the world.

I don't know what your political position is on "climate change" or "global warming " being caused by human activity. I note in the article they trace the cause of this "heat wave" to the El Niño phenomenon.
There is no question that the earth's climate has changed and will continue to change. But it is part of the magic and mystery of flying through space on a revolving ball of matter.
It is a terrible thing to see the reefs and their inhabitants suffer because of these changes. But,we must consider the possibility of previous change may have brought about the kelp at the expense of other organisms. One door closes and another door opens. We humans are the ones who place values (this one is greater, that one is lesser) on organisms and environments.
It is very, very complicated as each life form is tied to one another by mostly unseen threads.

kaptken: From a broader evolutionary perspective, you are absolutely correct. Over it's history, the earth has gone through massive shifts and extinction events that have dramatically reduced biodiversity. The problem with climate change is that in the near term (let's say the next 10,000 years), we are looking at massive reductions in biodiversity and ecosystem services. This will negatively impact humans for generations to come, both in terms of simply enjoying nature and as direct ecosystem services (e.g. clean water and food availability). So we need to be careful not to throw up our hands and just say "well, it's part of earth's cycle," particularly when there are things we can do to mitigate the effects.

Back
Top Bottom