Clicker Reel vs Line holder for dragging around a dive flag?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bob01

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey All,

Was just curious what everyone uses to drag around their dive flag/float? Currently I use one of those flat line holders

901-DEFAULT-m.jpg

However, I bumped into a site selling a clicker reel on sale for 19 bucks...was curious if its that much better than the standard line holder?

Clicker-Reel-150ft-Yellow-spool-w--black-body2524-3286_th.gif

Thanks,
Bob

I had the same idea. I picked up one of the "clicker reels" at a LDS sale that went Tango-Uniform for about $5 to $9 bucks.

Figured it would be better than using that "wind over wand line holder" you've got in the first pic. Didn't see much sense in spending $70 bucks on a reel to pull a dive flag. Still haven't used it yet. but that's my plans....

1 plus for the line holder is you can slip your forarm through it an be able to use both hands-
yet it will slip right off when some punk with a jetski snags it!!!
no moving parts to break either!!
have fun
yaeg

Get a spool... All the clicker reels will break and they're even bulkier than the yellow thing. Then you can clip it off and not have to hang onto it for an hour, or longer. You can also use the spool for other things when you don't tow a flag, like deploying a bag.

I use a lineholder with a deliberate split in the middle of the handle so Mr. Jetskier can just pull it off if need be. That way I get scuffed and scraped, but nothing is dislocated if my arm is through it when it gets pulled away.

I believe in keeping it simple. If there's no great advantage to a reel for the job at hand, a winder will do just fine. I've helped with a number of jammed reels during dives, but thus far, I haven't run into a jammed winder.

Thanks

I believe most line on reels/spools is negatively buoyant which makes it much easier to get tangled up in. The yellow line on the holders floats above you. I have both, but prefer the holder.

I prefer the "thicker" line on the line holder vs. the thin lines on most of the reels and spools for toting a flag around type diving. It tangles less and is easier to manage. After using the basic hand winding tool for so long, I used a buddies reel like that and it was a mess for me. Line was so tiny, kept getting wrapped up in everything possible and birds nested unexpectedly. Which was a mess in itself that could only be sorted out after the dive.

I used to use the clicker reel for towing my kayak. Broke 2 of them. I now use the flat line holder. Less parts to break & no tangles.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom