Clicker reel recommendation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bom

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am about to buy reel and SMB for my recreation dive. I first looked at Dive Rite safety reel but I read some negative comment about it so I move to next option, the Clicker reel from Piranha. Price is good too. I searched here but didn't find any comment. How is this reel? Is it durable? and does it perform properly under water? Or any other suggestion?

thank you

IMHO - too big for the application. We use those reels (or similar) for float flags. For an SMB, a finger spool fits the bill nicely. YMMV.

IMHO - too big for the application. We use those reels (or similar) for float flags. For an SMB, a finger spool fits the bill nicely. YMMV.

Although, it seems it's a lot easier to tangle up a finger spool than it is a traditional reel.

Thanks,

For finger spool, should I go for stainless steel or LM Dupont Derlin? Does the LM as durable as ss reel? It's about twice the price.

get whatever is cheapest. I wouldn't get LM though, just find a cheap finger spool, they're all basically the same

Reactions: Bom
what? how do you tangle up a finger spool? Reels are the ones that foul up easily.....

Just use a finger spool, they're cheap, they work.

I don't know, that's just what I've been told!

I'm not Tobin, Tobin is on here though, and he does make super nice finger spools....

Reels foul up easily if they aren't under tension when rewound and are a bitch to get a nest out of. Spools you wrap manually, again if the tension comes off it sucks, but you can't foul up a spool, part of their appeal

I think it also depends on how deep you are shooting the bag and how long you plan to hang. I like reels for the handle for winding and the locking mechanism for holding my stops. I prefer the sidewinder style.

Got one of the diverite safety reels. Hate it.

For shallower depths and shorter stops, finger spool is the way to go.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom