Cleaning Sharks Tooth

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

beachdude

Reaction score
I just purchased a great white shark's tooth. The seller informs me that it was taken from a shark that died in the 1970's. I had my jeweler make a beautiful pendant, using 18kt gold cap on the root with a small image of a shark on the front. My problem is I wore it for a few days and the white sharks tooth started to discolor from the oils from my skin. Now it is starting to turn brown. Does anyone know of a way to whiten the tooth again? I placed the tooth in bleach for 3 days and no result. I was thinking of boiling the tooth in water and bleach. Can anyone give me suggestions on cleaning and preserving my specimen? Thanks....

dude....... Do a search in the Florida Conch Divers section. There are quite a few threads and articles on sharks theeth there. Not sure if there is a particular one for your problem but it would the best place to start

Beachdude-I would definitely seek advice on the bleaching. I've done that to clean teeth that I didn't care much for and they come out a little different than they went in. I think you dissolve a little of the tooth when you do that. Maybe just soap and water?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom