Cleaning of growth from a lake

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rev440

Registered
Reaction score
I have no idea where to put this exactly If this is in the wrong place I am sorry. I found a late 70's early 80's 7 Up glass bottle today. It has growth from sitting in the lake for 10-20+ years. IIRC my dad said it has a foam layer that kept the bottle cold and it kept the bottle label intact extremly well. How would I go about cleaning it with out harming the label if this is possable?

Thank you,
Nate

Never approached that problem before... what I'd do is go down to Wal Mart and get one of those $1.98 styrofoam coolers, (or even a styrofoam coffee cup) and try whatever solution you're contemplating on that first to make sure it won't eat the foam coating. Some things I know will screw it up are gasoline, oil, or acetone.
Bleach might work... but test it first.
Even if you find a likely candidate that doesn't hurt the foam, try a tiny spot on your label to make sure it won't discolor it (bleach might do that) before any soaking.
Rick

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom