Classifieds: non-paypal cross-border payment methods?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TooCold

Contributor
Reaction score
I have a Teric and transmitter to sell that I'd like to post here on Scubaboard. I've never posted a classified on scubaboard and I've just moments ago checked the box to opt in to the marketplace, and read the guidance (rules). The US is a much bigger market than (here) in Canada, but I can't think of a payment method other than paypal that isn't discouraged or prohibited by the rules. I closed my paypal account many years ago after a bad bad experience and will not go there again.

For transactions within Canada, it's really simple: there is a uniform national service available to anyone with an account at any Canadian chartered bank. Transfers are simple to do, pretty much instant, and cost nothing. There are international bank transfers but they're costly and can be complicated for someone new to it. If someone in the US is intested in my Teric I had thougth to suggest USPS money order, but apparently that's against the rules. The other alternative I considered was to have the payment sent to a friend who uses paypal, but that is also frowned upon (prohibited?).

So, are there any suggestions for payment methods I can offer to potential US buyers, other than paypal? I'm very close to the border which is why a USPS money order would work just fine for me.

In the meantime I'll put up the ad (payment via e-transfer for Canadians), and mention that I'm working on payment options from the US. Hopefully I'm just missing an obvious solution that someone can clue me into.

Thanks,
Al

There are many services that will enable cross-border payments directly to your bank account. Wise is a good one.

However, the sender will pay the fees and a higher exchange rate. So be prepared - if you are selling it for CAD$1000, your US-based buyer may see the bank rate as USD$736, but be quoted $775 (or whatever) by the money transfer service. Some buyers might care, some might not.

It’s also fairly easy to send an international wire from the US to Canada from most banks, it just may take longer than Wise. Fees are usually flat (or free to some account holders).

wise has some of the lowest fees but also no buyer protection

its pretty much why paypal goods and services is used because it offers buyer protection

Thanks @chrisjur for mentioning Wise - it let me stop scratching my head over the earlier more cryptic post - I'd never heard of Wise. @tursiops, you had me wondering what you saw in my post that you thought was wise!

I know bank transfers are routine, just less convenient (or understood) and more expensive for most folks. I've finally taken photos so wll now put up the ad; I'll just see what kind of interest there is, and from where, and work out payment as necessary.

Thanks @chrisjur for mentioning Wise - it let me stop scratching my head over the earlier more cryptic post - I'd never heard of Wise. @tursiops, you had me wondering what you saw in my post that you thought was wise!
Apparently you did not click on the link.

You'll be hard pressed to find someone willing to pay outside of the standard pp/venmo.

Possibly applepay/cashapp? But unlikely.

Ah. In dark mode the pale blue SB uses for links is close to indistinguishable from regular text.
LOL. The dark side of dark mode....

Is (or could) PayPal doing everything Wise does?
If not, why not?
Kinda literally their jobs to figure this out. Unless it's something about regulations?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom