City of Salisbury Wreck

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NEdiver123

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey, new here...

I'm a student filmmaker who's currently geting trained in Advanced Open Water & Wreck Diving. At the same time, I'm in the early stages of planning a documentary on the City of Salisbury wreck in Boston Harbor. Basically, I'd love to here any personal dive stories on the wreck, see any photo's, and learn more on the history of the "zoo ship"....

Thanks!

-Robert

We run out to the Salisbury regularly. Check out the website for more info, www.bostondiving.com. Also, Capt. Jim Sullivan and I are giving a talk at the Quincy public library on 3/21 at 6pm. The Salisbury will be one of the wrecks discussed.
Capt. Pat.

123:

A few of us from the NELD forum on this Board go to the Salisbury a couple of times a year. Don't have any sexy stories, but I was diving w/ BlackSam last year when he grabbed that brass pipefitting...nice find. The wreck basically consists of a decent amount of wreckage atop the pinnacle that is somewhat ship-like. A large debris field trails down the pinnacle into deeper water. Somewhere NE? of the pinnacle is the bow section of the Sailsbury in about 90fsw(haven't dove there, yet). I think sometime back in the 90s a group of divers got together and salvaged the huge bow anchor of the Salisbury and put it on display in front of a restaurant(where else?). Supposedly, some of the animal cargo went down the ship or drowned in the off-loading and some LDS display 'monkey skulls' and the like claiming it was found on the wreck of the Salisbury. Have fun w/ your research.

I don't know how much research you've done, but you might want to start w/ an Edward Rowe Snow telling of the wreck. He's got a couple of books that include a short story about it. Another good source would be local newspaper accounts since it was fairly recent(1938?), it was stuck out there for a while and debris washed up on the local beaches for quite sometime.

Give Pat and Jim a call if you're gonna dive it...they have the best boat in the harbor.

LobstaMan

My dive buddies and I dive that wreck all the time. Our main dive sites are the Boston Harbor Islands and ledges. One of the captains I go out with loves that site so we end up there a lot. If you have an interst in diving that wreck check out http://www.southshoreneptunes.com/ We can definitely get you out there.

The visibility varies widely typical to this areas diving. Typically the deeper you go the better the visibility until you get to the point that the light starts to fade. Most of the wreckage is normally between 35- 45 foot depth depending on tides and this dive is normally very cold and often has a decent surface current. The wreckage is mostly on top and in the cracks of the ledge. The wreck is mostly rubble due to the fact that it was declared a hazard to navigation and was blown up. There is a nice section where you can clearly make out windows but depending on the vis and if you know where to look, it can be hard to find. My buddy has been on the boilers and he said they are in around 80 feet and off the ledge in a sandy area. It is probably the easiest wreck to find in the outer harbor. This would be a good wreck to dive for a beginning New England diver. Can be a great dive and can be a not so great dive but it always beats working.

Check out the "Salvaging Anchors" thread Robert... we're planning a trip out to the Salisbury soon.

Boston Diver Services:
Capt. Jim Sullivan and I are giving a talk at the Quincy public library on 3/21 at 6pm.
Nice presentation guys... you'd think you'd been doing them for years.

Thanks, this is all really great info. I was really disappointed I couldn't make it out the presentation yesterday....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom