Cincinnati diver dead after Spiegel Grove - Key Largo, Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We dove the Spiegel with an op that is no longer in business (ScubaDo - loved them), and the briefing was very clear. The DM emphasized that we must descend and ascend on the line because the current can change very quickly and without warning. We were fortunate to have no current either way, and of course we had two recently trained 'rescue divers' who completely ignored the dive briefing and did not go down on the line.

Sad to hear about this guy, as well as the dive op who now carries the weight of another diver lost. I wonder how they handle the trauma associated with these incidents?

Did you see the link that says this diver never descended and had a heart attack at the surface?

I sure did. Saw that link after I posted my speculation (which, of course, was in response to prior speculation.)

I keep trying to remind myself to read an entire thread before posting, but I'm pretty hard-headed. Gets worse every year.

It sounds like with early symptoms coming on, he should have sit that dive out. I know, it's a lot of work to get gear from Ohio to Florida, to the dive boat, gear up with enough lead to offset the extra suit needed in winter diving - done that myself. You hate to go thru all of that then balk at the last minute just because you're not feeling 100%.

It's quite possible there were no early symptoms. When the current is ripping on the Spiegel, just the physical effort to pull oneself up the tagline, from the stern of the dive boat to the mooring ball (and descent line), can flip your dive day from "this is going to be awesome!" to "what did I get myself into?!?" in the span of 30 seconds.

When the current is ripping on the Spiegel, just the physical effort to pull oneself up the tagline, from the stern of the dive boat to the mooring ball (and descent line), can flip your dive day from "this is going to be awesome!" to "what did I get myself into?!?" in the span of 30 seconds.
Indeed. Pull, don't kick. I get down ASAP, often passing people on the way down. I do the horizontal strech to the ball on my back, under the rope. Most want to be on the surface and they struggle. Once on the wreck, it's easy to stick to the lee and out of the current.

I do the horizontal strech to the ball on my back, under the rope.

Thanks for that tip. Back in 2013 when I made it down, I recall that after jumping in off the back of the boat, and pulling myself around the side of the boat heading to the mooring ball to descend, I was fairly winded just from getting around so I could start the dive. Didn't think to try doing it underwater.

Richard.

I was fairly winded just from getting around so I could start the dive.
It's not intuitive at all, but it's so much easier.

The dive ops really encourage everyone to HOLD ON. Sometimes the current is so light that you can do a free descent and subsequent ascent. However, if you aren't familiar with the site, then you probably don't know if it's safe and a second of not holding on to the line can sweep you away.

Dove the spiegel a couple times. Provided your boat ties into one of the main balls, no surface swim necessary. Step in and immediately grab rope. Pull yourself up to the ball and go down along line. Reverse coming up. Did it in a ripping surface current. Was dead calm on the deck at 100 ft.

Sad to hear about this guy, as well as the dive op who now carries the weight of another diver lost. I wonder how they handle the trauma associated with these incidents?

When I was in the Coast Guard, they made Critical Incident Stress Debrief counselors available after cases that turned out bad. Sometimes people need to talk even if they know nothing was their fault. Hope a similar service is available for commercial dive operators.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom