Chuuk / Truk opening August 1st 2022, is it actually happening

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

broncobowsher

Contributor
Reaction score
Any word if the place is actually opening? I saw a clip from a Hawaii news site that said they are being hit really hard, but being the news the information was rather lacking, couldn't tell if they were discussing current or past events. One of those horribly written articles that sounds like information but isn't.

Anyone actually have travel plans? On the way there? Actually there? Is there any updated information?

Chuuk has asked the national gov't to be excluded from the August 1st opening of borders, given the high case numbers in the other states. Last i heard Chuuk and Yap are the only states without active cases. I don't think they will be welcoming visitors for a few months yet. In any case, it would be madness to visit until after the initial surge of cases is over with. All public facilities in the other states are either overwhelmed or shut down.

Any word if the place is actually opening? I saw a clip from a Hawaii news site that said they are being hit really hard, but being the news the information was rather lacking, couldn't tell if they were discussing current or past events. One of those horribly written articles that sounds like information but isn't.

Anyone actually have travel plans? On the way there? Actually there? Is there any updated information?
We were scheduled on Odyssey for Oct 15-22 and just cancelled about a week ago after getting this message from our LDS travel coordinator:

“Micronesia which is comprised of 4 states is slated to open on August 1st. However, Truk has asked the Federation to allow them to open November 1 instead of August; The Federation has not approved their request as of today.”

So, it looks like Truk is not planning on opening until later this fall - and I’m not sure I would not want to be on one of the first “shakedown cruises” after being shut down for over 2.5 years!

I heard January 2023 somewhere. A recent news story (three days ago) makes it seem like they are determined to open in August, though.

FSM is getting slammed with Covid for right now for the first time. The president recently traveled to Guam to appeal for help. It looks like if they do open, it'll be with heavy restrictions (mask mandate was mentioned in that news article).

Jim

President of FSM Facebook page says he agreed to allow Chuuk to only receive a few flights each month with
all needing to quarantine for 14 days until October 31st. Not sure what the rules will be after that. That site is very good for updating Covid info and the politics going on.

Sounds like we have some answers. Check back again in November.

Sounds like we have some answers. Check back again in November.

Just like with the Caymans, I think people who don't want to get burnt shouldn't even bother booking until after it actually opens up under conditions you are willing to put up with.

I was booked next year and moved my booking to 2024. Just didn't want to chance it..

Chuuk is fully open as of October 10, 2022. Evidence of vaccination required; however, no testing, no quarantine, no restrictions on movement. Community spread of Covid is currently active but CFR remains very low (~0.2%).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom