Chrome Polish a Metal Second Stage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WOB0.01J

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello divers. This tread has nothing to do with diving but how to keep a chrome metal regulator looking new. I am currently doing divemaster course and using a A700 second stage, the front faceplate have some minor scratches. I have been using chrome polish, it seems to work okay. How do you guys keep a chrome reg looking like new? :wink: thanks

Hello divers. This tread has nothing to do with diving but how to keep a chrome metal regulator looking new. I am currently doing divemaster course and using a A700 second stage, the front faceplate have some minor scratches. I have been using chrome polish, it seems to work okay. How do you guys keep a chrome reg looking like new? :wink: thanks
I don't do much to my Scubapro Balanced Adjustable/156 2nd stages except to not drag them on hard surfaces, gravel, etc. When I put one in regulator bag or suitcase, I double over a salt and pepper (wool and cotton) sock and insert the 2nd stage. I also put the B&G SPG in a doubled-over sock, too.

Other than this, I don't do anything but thoroughly wash the reg, pressurized, and completely dry it before storing it away.

My Mk 10 + Balanced Adjustable regs were purchased new ~1987, and they still look pretty good.

rx7diver

By not using it. Seriously, polish will not prevent or remove scratches and dents. But a Bic lighter will remove them from a polymer G250/260 :wink:.

I do not drag my regs on the deck or rocks, I clean them, store them dry and place them inside an old sock when in their designated bags. The glass filled (fiber reinforced) Scubapro polymer second stages are the bomb, much more rugged than chrome plated brass!

By not using it. Seriously, polish will not prevent or remove scratches and dents. But a Bic lighter will remove them from a polymer G250/260 :wink:.

I do not drag my regs on the deck or rocks, I clean them, store them dry and place them inside an old sock when in their designated bags. The glass filled (fiber reinforced) Scubapro polymer second stages are the bomb, much more rugged than chrome plated brass!
Umm, interesting. Are you talking about the carbon fiber front case? I do like the chrome plated brass, they shine nicely under the sun :)

I don't do much to my Scubapro Balanced Adjustable/156 2nd stages except to not drag them on hard surfaces, gravel, etc. When I put one in regulator bag or suitcase, I double over a salt and pepper (wool and cotton) sock and insert the 2nd stage. I also put the B&G SPG in a doubled-over sock, too.

Other than this, I don't do anything but thoroughly wash the reg, pressurized, and completely dry it before storing it away.

My Mk 10 + Balanced Adjustable regs were purchased new ~1987, and they still look pretty good.

rx7diver
I am seriously wondering that what is the life spam for a regulator. if you service them properly, probably forever

Have two, one you leave in the garage and take it out only on special occasions, the other is your beater reg.

I am seriously wondering that what is the life spam for a regulator. if you service them properly, probably forever
Many divers use regulators that are decades old. Parts availability is a concern but some brands and models have been in production with only superficial changes for so long that parts are available. The 109 on the right I bought new in the day. The one on the left was new old stock I got about ten years ago:

This like new 156 I just got from a friend, I plan to dive it in Cozumel in a few weeks:

These G250 are from the early and mid 80s. I got them from a lds that was throwing them away. They were in very ugly condition. A little work and (flame) polishing and a few new parts and I put a bunch of dives on them this past summer):

Many of the critical parts in a 109/156/G250/G260 are interchangeable:

It is possible that a USD/AL Conshelf 14 could remain serviceable forever. They are just so simple and rugged and went unchanged (in terms of what few parts they have in them) for decades and are still in production allegedly in a secret underground facility in LA ( :wink: ) for military only customers!

Avoid xyz, here today, gone tomorrow, brands. Start scrounging parts now for the future rainy day and your A700s should be good to go for a dive in 2050.

Autosol chrome polish .jpg

Many divers use regulators that are decades old. Parts availability is a concern but some brands and models have been in production with only superficial changes for so long that parts are available. ...

+1

Also, I suspect that many personally owned top-shelf regulators (e.g., Scubapro Mk5/Mk10 and 109/156) will never see the heavy usage they were designed to take.

rx7diver

Back
Top Bottom