Chrome and Scubaboard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver0001

New
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Lately I've been having trouble running Scubaboard in Chrome. This is new.

(Windows 8.1, latest version of Chrome running in window mode, all updates installed, generic Intel motherboard)

Something in the SB content causes the video drivers to crash. The video hardware is MSI N560GTX (for gaming). It can handle 3d polygons being thrown at you at 100FPS but Scubaboard makes it crash. Sometimes it freezes, Sometimes it crashes and restarts and sometimes it causes my computer to re-boot.

1) It only happens in Chrome. IE works fine.
2) ONLY the Scubaboard site causes this to happen. No other site I've visited or program I've used causes this
3) Average time between crashes is about 10 min

So what's up with that? Any ideas?

R..

Hi Rob.

Sorry, but I can't troubleshoot a video driver specific issue. I don't have that video driver.

Chrome may or may not be associated with that, but I use Chrome and have no problems.

Understood. I gather that it isn't a common problem.

I can use IE although I would rather use Chrome. I don't like it but I'll do it.

I wonder how many anonymous Chrome users come to the site, have this problem and then leave instead of signing up. Do you have any way to measure if this bug is affecting your business?

R..

The bug isn't chrome, it's probably your video driver... Do you have another computer to try this with?

I exclusively run Chrome (latest version) on various platforms (though mostly antiquated ones) with no issues. Rob, it's got to be your video driver......

second thought: are you running any ad-blocking?

I wonder how many anonymous Chrome users come to the site, have this problem and then leave instead of signing up. Do you have any way to measure if this bug is affecting your business?

R..

Chrome is the #1 browser used by SB Users, and accounts for 35% of Daily traffic. The average session duration from Chrome users is 5 minutes. There is no indication that any significant number of users is dropping off who are using Chrome.

I never had problems with it before but given the evidence it must be something to do with my drivers. I'd update them but I have the latest version already. I'll try difference settings.

Bob, why would ad blocking cause the video drivers to crash?

R..

Bob, why would ad blocking cause the video drivers to crash?

R..

Nothing in particular, but with all the stuff going on at the sides of these pages, I wonder at times if blocking it may in some way, can cause instability....

Lately I've been having trouble running Scubaboard in Chrome. ... Any ideas?

Can you please share with us what you see when you tell your Chrome browser to go to chrome://version?

Also, leave out Command Line and Profile Path, as these might contain personal information you would prefer not to share.

Thanks.

HI Rob.

I'm sorry you're having an issue, but as far as SB support is concerned, I've marked this as closed. Even if it was your browser... Neither I nor vBulletin support address browser specific issues with the forum software.

If you'd like to continue to discuss and troubleshoot your problem with other SB'ers, feel free.

Back
Top Bottom