Christmas warm water trip, need some help/advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My first ocean dive was in Cozumel and I was perfectly at ease with the drift diving. We stayed at Scuba Club Cozumel which at the time was the Galapago Inn (its been many years). You are limited to only 2 boat dives a day and very little shore diving but for a newbie you might want to take it easy anyway.

I love Bonaire and the diving freedom is GREAT but even with my many years of diving I found the shore entries & exits to be a little tricky at times. Myself I would not recommend Bonaire for a newbie. You have other things to consentrate on. I would stick with dive boats where you are taken care of.

My next trip will probably be back to Roatan. Our first trip we stayed at the Inn of Last Resort and were treated like royalty. They have since had a change in management and I don't know what it is like there now. I have not stayed at Fantasy Island but they are having some great deals. From now until the end of December (I think) they are having a 2 for 1 special. I think it is like $979.00 for 2 plus 16% taxes and don't forget to figure in the gratuities. I kinda like an AI because I know "up front" how much the vacation is going to cost me. No surprises on the cost of food and at Fantasy Islan even your drinks are included. I hear that they have some decent shore diving there also. Right now I can fly from the mid-west for about $800 per person. Most flight to & from Roatan are Saturday to Saturday.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Have fun.

Looking more closely at roatan, utila, bonaire and belize. Really looking at Bonaire and Belize, anyone have any recommendations for outfits that will offer good packages. I see some deals for flight+hotel, but is there anywhere the does air + hotel + dive type packages in these areas?

Looking more closely at roatan, utila, bonaire and belize. Really looking at Bonaire and Belize, anyone have any recommendations for outfits that will offer good packages. I see some deals for flight+hotel, but is there anywhere the does air + hotel + dive type packages in these areas?

Caradonna Dive Adventures - Dive Travel and Vacations
Bay Adventures :: Dive Adventures and Island Vacations :: 888.599.3483
Island Dreams Travel scuba diving vacations, cozumel scuba diving, dive travel, dive resorts, diving trips

these guys are dive travel experts and can get you full packages - air, hotel, diving or whatever ype package you want. See what they can come up with for you.

robin:D

For Bonaire check with Liz at Golden Reef Inn for package pricing (dive/drive/stay). If you want ocean front, Den Laman, Buddy Dive, and Cap't Dons are good. Whatever you do, don't pre-purchase boat dives on Bonaire, do them ala carte so you aren't locked in. The shore diving is fantastic and other than a trip or two to Klein, I don't see how boat diving is worth the cost there.

Just saw this on the Bay Adventures website:

INN OF LAST RESORT IS CLOSED AT THIS TIME

I'm not sure you'll find anyone who'll bundle air to Honduras except maybe Caradonna.
Another option would be Scuba Travel Ventures/Aquadreams, they had a better air/truck/diving/resort deal to Bonaire than anyone else a few years ago. Ask for Dani if she's still there, she's a diver and has been to most places she recommends.

Our 1st dive after getting OWC was in Coz this past April and we had no prob with the current or depths but they didn't take us past 90'. Stayed at Scuba Club and the cost of the trip was very affordable. We were tempted to return with some of deals there but wanted to see somewhere else. Hotel Cozumel has a 3 tank/day dive boat package that looked good and gets you a number of dives.

Cozumel vacation, Mexico resort hotel rates - Bay Adventures

After searching hi and lo we just couldn't pass up the current package available at FI Roatan so we booked it for arrival 12/12 and leaving 12/19. Airfare was running about $735 RT out of OKC/Houston and as was stated 2/1 at this time at FI. Going off memory it was $950ish AI plus taxes and some fees. Can't wait because EVERYONE we've seen whose been there loves it and most return. Like someone else said Coz will always be cheap and some of the others, Bahamas Caymans are more pricey.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom