Christmas Camera!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jrdivagrl

Reaction score
Hello All! I am interested in a camera for christmas....I promised my parents to do reasearch on them but I am a little confused. Here is what i want in my camera:
1) a camera with at least 3.5 MP
2) removeable housing that can go to 130 ft
3) the whole flash setup thing.
4)needs to be a film camera

and it all needs to be below $600. I would really appreciate any input even if the camera is a little over $600! thanks! Happy holidays!

Thats what I use, you can see some of my picts here at the board. Also vist the OLY CORNER in the underwater photography section here on the board. You should be able to pick camera w/warrenty and case for under 600.00 from ebay. But first go read and make up your own mind. Digital is the way to go IMO. There are lots of folks that use this camera on the board and plenty of advise. Hope this helps and good luck with whatever you get.

PS
tell Santa I said hi :wink:

I'd have to push for digital, too.

But there are film alternatives - you won't get the flexibility of features and ease of use (imho) with the film options, though. BTW - film cameras do not have MP counts...so are you sure you want film? Or do you mean digital with a particular media type such as Compact Flash card or XD card etc?

Do a search using the Advanced Search feature and you'll find some hits.

Hopefully someone who uses film will chime in with some good choices for you. If you are willing to consider digital, I'd start with a search for Canon A or Canon S and Olympus Stylus

Happy hunting!

jrdivagrl:
Hello All! I am interested in a camera for christmas....I promised my parents to do reasearch on them but I am a little confused. Here is what i want in my camera:

and it all needs to be below $600. I would really appreciate any input even if the camera is a little over $600! thanks! Happy holidays!
First you have to decide whether you want a film or a digital(3.5MP?) camera and than maybe we could be of further help :wink:

jrdivagrl:

First: I would do my utmost to convince you not to buy a film camera for amateur underwater photography.

After you decide on film or digital then proceed with your questions.

jrdivagrl:
!

One other thing...are you talking about the strobe? If you are thinking of an external strobe, you won't find one within your budget. But the good news is the internal flash on the Olys and Canons in particular are very good...don't believe me? Check out calypsonick's gallery - all done with just the camera, housing and internal strobe.

Oh yeah, and tons of practice!! :wink:

sorry whoops...tired and sick yesterday..i cant decide whether or not i want a film or digital..i have trouble printing out digital pics so film would seem like the better option. yes i do mean a strobe. I heard that sea and sea (sea life?) make great cameras..as you may see I need quite a bit of help..thanks for the responseses so far!

Assuming you want to go digital, I would definitely skip the sea life cameras. Sea & Sea are different and they have a film camera the MX-10 or MXIIE (I think) that you might check-out. I am not fond of the Sea & Sea digitals - I think you can get better results with other systems.

Have a look at the getting started thread here for some ideas and for some real world comments on various cameras.

Come back and ask specific questions.

Check this link to compare digital cameras side by side

From what I have seen of the results from the Sea & Sea digitals, even with external strobe, they aren't near the quality achieved by other consumer digitals in housings (even without external strobes).

But hopefully some one who uses this set up, or similar, will pipe in and tell you first hand. I can only comment on what I have seen from the people taking photos on our boats.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom