choosing the right boat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hi there,

I am planning a 6D/6N liveaboard diving trip to the Similan Islands next January and after searching the discussions about the boats for several days the choice is narrowed down to 4 boats now:
1. Colona VI
2. Nautica
3. Pawara
4. Giamani

There are not much discussions about Pawara and Giamani and the Colona VI seems to be the most popular one in this price range. I personally like the Nautica. (after reading the information from siamdiver.com) Do you have any recommendations? Anybody who's been on these boats please share the experience with me~ Thanks!! :D

It really depends what kind of boat you're looking for.
Of the 4 you mention I would not recommend the Pawara, I think they are overpriced at the moment, but the other 3: depends what you want.

There are not much discussions about Pawara and Giamani and the Colona VI seems to be the most popular one in this price range. I personally like the Nautica.

Well, Giamani is totally new and Pawara just started last season - it is nice, possibly the owner upped the price a bit too much this season. If you need space for 1 person (traveling alone?) the Colona 6 is a good deal. if you want a nice double bed cabin - Nautica is great, just more expensive than the others.

Thanks for the reply, stevenl.
Acturally I am not sure what I really want. Or, there are too many that I really want.....:D

Besides great diving, maybe great food, (my wife insists this is the most important one...) and nice boat crew.... Then I think the boat with a comportable(not crowded if the passengers are all there) outdoor saloon area is better cause I plan to bring several books with me.

The photos on the internet all look great so I need somebody's help to choose one! :14:

The Giamani is new, so from experience I can not tell you about the food quality, but I have high expectations.
Both the Giamani and the Colona have a nice seating and relaxing area, IMO nicer than the Nautica, but the Nautica is the most luxurious of the boats. I would personally recommend the Colona considering what you're looking for, but the other 2 are nice alternatives and would do fine as well.

If you want a cabin with double bed, the Nautica is the way to go, or the Master Cabin on the Colona.

Freakwency,

I am going on the Philkade in late October, for what its worth look for my review shortly after I return.

Arizona

Freakwency,

I am going on the Philkade in late October, for what its worth look for my review shortly after I return.

Arizona

Thanks Arizona, but it's far beyond my budget......
Maybe I'll try it when I get a higher salary, in the future~:14:

BTW, thanks for the kind replies, which really helps !! :wink:

Hi there,

I am planning a 6D/6N liveaboard diving trip to the Similan Islands next January and after searching the discussions about the boats for several days the choice is narrowed down to 4 boats now:
1. Colona VI
2. Nautica
3. Pawara
4. Giamani

There are not much discussions about Pawara and Giamani and the Colona VI seems to be the most popular one in this price range. I personally like the Nautica. (after reading the information from siamdiver.com) Do you have any recommendations? Anybody who's been on these boats please share the experience with me~ Thanks!! :D
I have been on the Nautica and the Colona and they are both fine boats.

Nautica is a bit more spacious and has a bathroom on the dive deck. There are those that do and those that lie. I don't and I'm telling the truth. Wetsuit comes off and it's a beeline too the loo.

Colona is very good. The chef "Mommy" has been cooking on liveaboards for ever. No one ever complained about the food. Everyone raves about it! 56 days until I will once again have some of her curry's, Thai food and soups. yes I'm counting it's only 80,640 minutes

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom