Choosing between Malapascua, Southern Leytey, Dumaguete/Dauin, and Moalboal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

slippy_lolo

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey to the Philippine experts of Scubaboard,

I am currently in the process of planning a two weeks vacation in the Philippines, in the Visayas. We're flying in Cebu on the 9th of March, landing at 6:55pm. We're flying out on the 21st, at 8:05pm. Thus, I expect to have 11 days to fill with exciting dives.

After some browsing of past postings on Scubaboard, I am now struggling to nail down our final itinerary. I've selected four destinations that are of interest to us:
Malaspacua Island: the tresher sharks look like a definitive must-see. Plus the Evolution shop seems like a solid option, with good diving beyond the sharks.
Southern Leytey: I wasn't too keen on this destination originally but other posts sold me on it. Peter's Dive Resort looks like a great option, and the perspective of seeing whale sharks is super enticing.
Dumaguete/Dauin: looks like great diving all around, and the Atmosphere Resort seems super duper nice. Plus, with flights available from Cebu, it's an "easy" transfer.
Moalboal: not really too excited about the diving in general there, but the sardine run looks amazing.

I don't think it's feasible to hit all of them in one trip, especially with the famous "Philippines' time". I would be glad if you have recommendations as to what to remove, and how to transfer efficiently.

We're more interested in seeing bigger stuff (sharks, etc.), and areas with lots of life (schools of fish, etc.) Macro is not a usual interest--but it might be the trip that convert us to it! I am also personally keen on somewhat dramatic dive sites, with large and intricate rock formations--the best dives I have done so far were in Tulum's cenotes.
Finally, we also have a non-diver in our group. She doesn't mind staying back enjoying the beach, but some side activities would be nice (that's why I quite like the Atmosphere Resort). Good snorkeling is also a plus for her.

Thanks for your help!

South Leyte is the best among the four(my opinion) but does require a bit of extra travelling.
Day 1: Overnight in Cebu City
Day 2: Travel to Malapascua(private or public). If using private transfer then you can start diving in early afternoon.
Day 3 - 5: Diving
Day 6: Travel all the way to Dumaguete(very early start). There is ferry service between Cebu City and Dumaguete as an alternative.
Day 7 - 9: Dive Dauin and Apo Island etc
Day 10: Travel to Moalboal, relative short distance, so start diving in the afternoon.
Day 12(20th): Option to dive the whaleshark at Oslob and then onward to Cebu City instead of returning to Moalboal. Some people found the experience at Oslob quite disappointing so look it up.
Day 13: Home

Have a nice trip.

Back
Top Bottom