Choosing a Dive Centre in Thailand

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ayeshacantrell

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I know this topic pops up quite alot!

I was asked by a new magazine called South East Asia Backpacker Magazine to write about what to expect when learning to dive and how to make that all important choice of which dive centre to go to........

I thought it might make useful reading for anyone facing this dilema.

Choosing Where To Do Your Open Water Course Learn To Dive On Koh Tao

Generally speaking, in my expeience diving in Thailand over a number of years recently. Simply avoid Pattaya and you won't go far wrong.

Thank you. Between this post and others like it [(http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/thailand/285889-open-water-dive-padi-bangkok-help.html) scroll down to Devon's Post], you've saved dozens from carpel tunnel syndrome. This is good, solid information with out (too much... :)) personal agenda.

But did you have to put Wilco's picture on the front page? hmm... editorial decision. Out of your hands, I suppose.

Seriously, this is the number one question asked about Tao on this forum, and I think you've done a nice bit of work in saving us all time to just refer back to it when "where should I do my OW in KT?" gets asked again. And Again.

Really? LK,You surprise me,

Tell us more! What happened???

Last edited:
Really? LK,You surprise me,

Tell us more! What happened???

Actually I have to agree with LK. 'unfortunately'
I have just spent the last 2 months in Pattaya, and during my stay have tried 5 different shops, as a prelude to furthering my training. I am less than impressed by all of them, I am not the most experienced of divers, but all the other locations I have dived in the past have been far superior in all ways.
This coupled with the average/poor diving conditions, I have given up on the Pattaya dive scene.

Actually I have to agree with LK. 'unfortunately'
I have just spent the last 2 months in Pattaya, and during my stay have tried 5 different shops, as a prelude to furthering my training. I am less than impressed by all of them, I am not the most experienced of divers, but all the other locations I have dived in the past have been far superior in all ways.
This coupled with the average/poor diving conditions, I have given up on the Pattaya dive scene.

You are quite right there.
In my experience Pattaya has probably the worst diving conditions and dive sites in Thailand, the shops are amongst the most expensive, and as for their customer service I dont need to enlarge on that, I think you are all aware of my opinions on that one.
Maybe in the future you could try some other locations, Thailand really has a lot of options to offer a diver. You have just been unlucky in selecting the poorest one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom