Chocolate Lobster Dive, Cabrillo Beach, CA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaStan

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Who all attended and did you enjoy it?

I attended and it was my first time. Had a great time and it was for a great cause. I came away with one in my goodie bag which is one more than I had expected! Vis was about 10' in spots, but quickly dropped to -10' in spots, but with the slight swell, the waters cleared up fairly quickly.

For those of you that don't know what I am taking about, every year the weekend before California Lobster season starts, the Cabrillo Aquarium in San Pedro, CA puts on a fundraising event. They drop about 400 sweet chocolaty lobsters in air tight bags with a numbered weight off the coast in about 10-20 ft waters within a defined area. Then at a pre-arranged time, they blow the air horn and 450-500 divers take to the water and try to get their 2 lobster limit within a 1 1/2 hr time period. It is rumored that if you don't find any within the forst 5-10 minutes...ya ain't gonna! Each number is associated with a prize with a wide range of possible prizes.

The benefactors of the event are children's educational programs to teach children about our waters and the importance of the ecosytem it creates. Being a diver, I feel it is important for our children to learn of our local (think globally, act locally) waters and the life it supports and how to keep it around for the next generations to enjoy.

The other thing that is really cool is that all registered divers get their c-card held until they return from the water. All divers are accounted for before the festivites continue. Lifeguards on kayaks and jet ski's and safety divers all do their jobs to ensure safety is the number one thing that is followed.

Awesome job to the event coordinators and committee!

ScubaStan
:snorkel:

so, did you win something with the cholate lobster you found? I really wanted to go, but it's really difficult for me to get weekends off. I think I may need to change jobs so I can dive more....LOL

I got a snorkel and mask by Ameri-Sea. I never heard of them but I believe they are from Florida.

Sounds cool, wish my dive shop did cool stuff like that. Luckly if they have 2-3 things per season lined up. This year had a boat get a way. spear fishing and family dive/snorkel bbq. I like the sound of the chochlate lobster

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom