Chino prison commercial diver training program

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Duke Dive Medicine

ScubaBoard Supporter
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
Divers,

Many of you have heard of the inmate commercial diver training program at the California Institute for Men in Chino, CA. This superb training program has been a resounding success for many years. The recidivism rate of its graduates is less than 7%, and Chino hands enjoy an outstanding reputation in the commercial diving industry. I've had the privilege of being a guest instructor there, and have experienced firsthand the pride that the students take in their program and themselves.

Unfortunately, the program is in immediate danger of closing. In the past, it had been funded by the California Prison Industry Authority without help from the California Department of Corrections. The CPIA no longer has the funds to support the program and the CDC is unwilling to assist.

Leonard Greenstone, a former Navy and commercial diver and philanthropist, had been a passionate advocate of the program. Mr. Greenstone was well-connected politically and was the driving force behind the program since its inception. Sadly, he passed away yesterday at age 89. Though he lived a long, productive life, the program has now lost its most visible and vocal asset.

Fred Johnson, the inmate diving program's lead instructor, will go before the California Department of Corrections on November 16th to request that funding be provided to keep the program running. Fred is asking that all interested parties write to the CDC and the CPIA in support of the program before then. I apologize for the short fuse, but I just got this email request yesterday from Bob Schelke, a friend who is a retired Navy diver and one of the founding instructors of the program. I'd like to reach out to anyone who's willing to write, especially Chino graduates and industry executives. I can provide contact information via PM or email for anyone interested.

Thank you,
Eric Hexdall, RN, CHRN
Commander, USN (ret)
Clinical Director, Duke Dive Medicine

7% is impressive.

To put that in context, California's 1 year recidivism rate for "returns to prison" is 45% and the 3 year rate is 65%, with an overall rate of over 70% - the worst recidivism rates in the nation.

California is under an intense budget crunch and a large chunk of that is the incredibly bloated department of corrections that has a very strong union and has become an institution unto itself. The cynic in me suspects the incredibly poor recidivism rate is by design to continue to generate both business and fear to keep the funds flowing.

However, it still may be worthwhile to pull the latest California Adult Institutions Outcome Evaluation Report and compare the detailed demographic stats for released inmates and compare that to the target group attending the dive training program. If you can show that the program is successful with inmates with age, offenses and incarceration times that otherwise have extremely high
recidivism rates, you could make strong case for the cost effectiveness of continuing to fund the program.

You'd just need to make the points in a very public setting to make a "do not fund" decision by the powers that be look fiscally irresponsible.

This is a great program. Unfortunately most commercial divers that I knew when I was big in the industry looked at these people in a very poor light. There was more disdain from traditional ACDE students than there is for DIR vs non-DIR peeps. The truth is, CHINO divers get their education for free, and become cheap labor/competition for those who paid tens of thousands for the same chance. So, they're hated.

I can see both sides, but the program has tremendous merit. I can overlook the competition factor and the jealousy for the free education. This program and programs like it should stay in effect, provided we can find a way to pay for them. 7% recidivism saves California millions of dollars. I hope someone with some power can realize that.

... I'm from Cali, born and raised. 90% of my family resides there. I can tell you from my point of view, CA residents have better things to spend their money on. Personally I prefer they stick to the jeans and license plates. I spent 8 years working offshore as a commercial diver. They don't need ex-cons off shore when students who paid for training with their own money are waiting inline these days for a job. I can think of 6 schools right now, averaging around 100 new graduates a month total nation wide. Do you really think they should compete with ex-cons? I think not. Teach them to change oil or something, I heard jiffy lube is hiring ex-cons left and right.

Thanks for making my point.
Part of their success is the fact that they are doing something they are proud of. Not much pride in Jiffy Lube.

Thanks for making my point.
Part of their success is the fact that they are doing something they are proud of. Not much pride in Jiffy Lube.

Since when is it the tax payers job to hand over money to convicted criminals- aside from housing them and providing for basic needs. So what, we should pay more so they "potentially" don't cost us more in the long run? I have an idea, why not train them to be lawyers... Then they can defend themselves next time they are in trouble and we wont have to pay for a public defender. Maybe we can train them to be prison guards, so they can watch themselves like in some third world countries. Or better yet how about we install more prisons like Sheriff Joe Arpaio's Chain Gang Tent City - YouTube. Personally I think sticking them in pink undies out in the middle of the desert is a great idea and low cost at that! Thats something we can be proud of! How about give them a reason not to go back, instead of trying to encourage them with a golden carrot to do better. Oh well if I get in trouble again, I get to learn something new for free. Thats absurd. Not much pride at jiffy lube you say? So holding a job, paying your own bills with out stealing, taking care of your family (if you have one), staying out of jail and being a responsible citizen is not something you can be proud of? Really, WTF? Maybe you prefer the convicted sex offender to work at home as your nanny after we pay to train him... The only thing i'm ok with is making educational materials available, if they so choose to put in the work to get there GED or some college credits for basic studies. After that I think CA should reduce the three strike law to 2, then make a deal with Sherif Joe to ship them to the desert working on a chain gang for life. A lot of roads need fixing and this economy could use some cheap "American Labor". :)

Last edited:
I simply shocked.

So,

What happen to getting a "second chance in life" ?
To become a productive citizen ?
Paying for your crimes and move on ?

Maybe with the attitude that has been shown in this thread is why the return to prison rate is so high.

So we have a program that works, but some would rather spend millions of dollars to keep someone from breaking their cycle.and become a possible model citizen and potential positive role model.

its no wonder why america has the highest % of its citizens in prisons.

With 7% relapse compared to 70% or even 45% its not "potentially" saving money in the long run :eek:

With 7% relapse compared to 70% or even 45% its not "potentially" saving money in the long run :eek:

7% from one program doesn't mean anything. Being selective on who you put in the program can alter the percentage rate quite a bit. So almost 1 out 10 that go thru this program come back. 70 out of 100 license plate makers etc come back... Look at the size of the program its not a fair comparison. Im sure the candidates were carefully selected. That's not saving money it playing with numbers.

I simply shocked.

So,

What happen to getting a "second chance in life" ?

its no wonder why america has the highest % of its citizens in prisons.

So,. ........... what happened to staying out of prison?

Back
Top Bottom