Chillicothe, Illinois Recreational area

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

racedude1984

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Anybody been diving out in Chillicothe "pits". I tryed finding info on it and founf minimal info. I see it is about 36' max depth. We are thinking about going diving there this weekend to work on some skills. Not really wanting to see anything just get back in the water and try some of our new gear. We were thinking of going this weekend. I live about 30 minutes from there so we really don't need to plan ahead too much. I'm just ondering what the water temp may be I'm not use to quarry's since all my dives have been in Florida.

I am not familiar with Chillicothe "Pits." However, this time of year the water is still chilly in Chillicothe. I have heard various reports of 50-60's as a surface temp from around the area. Depending on depth the temp drops once your beneath the thermocline. A depth of 36' it will still be chilly this time of year, as the water takes awhile to warm up. Viz ranges from a few feet to 25' thru 40' depending on depth and weather. Usually beneath the thermocline it's colder and clearer. It's going to be totally different than diving in the clear subtropical waters of Florida. Although, it's still fun and adds to the adventure. You might want to check out a website that gives updates on numerous dive sites. www.midwestmuckdiving.com

If you make it there, let us know how it was. I was thinking about going there myself sometime.

It really wasn't too bad nice close parking and some fairly clear water. The staff was really friendly but the price was steep at $15 a person. There is a couple of boats, plane rock piles and many other items in the water. I was pretty impressed for it being so close and not used so much. If you want any other info let me know.

Not knowing much about this site is it a quarry or lake? it's 36' deep with a sunken boat, air plane, and a few rock piles. How about the fish population (a lot or a little)? I am just trying to get a better handle on this. How is the boat traffic? Can you get air fills near by?

While this site is very close to home for me, I haven't been there diving in a number of years, so my firsthand knowledge is limited. My recollection was that vis was limited, but again, it has been a number of years.

"Close to home, the Chillicothe Recreational Area actually consists of three gravel pits, one of which is open for scuba divers. Depths range from 10 feet to 26 feet. Fish life is varied, and includes sun fish, bass, crappie, cat fish & carp. If you swim slowly, you may spot turtles in the shallows or along the bank at the east end of the lake. It is one of the few lakes in Illinois where divers can find freshwater jellyfish in the early spring and late fall. A number of man made objects, including a school bus, several boats, & dive platforms may be found. The best diving is generally along the east or north shores of the lake. The west end is very shallow and tends to get weed choked. Entry fee is $15. C card required. Surface amenities are minimal. There are no equipment rentals on site, so bring what you need.

Nearest air fill station: Do Dive In

Chillicothe Recreational Area

20205 N Route 29

Chillicothe, Illinois"

From Do Dive In website.

See also Chillicothe Recreation Area | Chillicothe IL 61523 United States | Dive Site | DiveBuddy.com

I don't believe you can get air fills on-site, but the Peoria area is blessed with 3 local dive shops. If you are coming in from St. Louis, your time is likely best served by stopping in Morton at Aqua Diving School (a short jog off I-74) on the drive in if you need a fill. Both Deep Blue Adventure and Do Dive In are also great shops (and where I get my fills), they're just a bit more out of your way.

If you feel like diving there sometime, send me a PM--I'm always looking for someone to dive with!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom