http://www.diveheart.org/

Child with Cancer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tk trekers

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I wanted to post up about a friend of mine that I have known and grown up with since we were 4 years old who's son is struggling for his life this week in Cincinnati, OH. He was diagnosed with neuroblastoma cancer at a very young age and he has beat it twice but it has come back once again and his prognosis is not very good at this point. I feel helpless to help being in Texas so I felt this was something I could do to help support him in his fight.

He could use the prayers and wellness wishes if you are so inclined.

There is a web page that the family uses to post updates on and it is: Care Pages and you would have to register. If this doesn't work for some reason, you can PM me your email address and I will send you an invite to his page. If you register, his name is Corey Nickell.

The family also started an organization to bring awareness to childhood cancer if you would like to visit it: Rally Round the Gold Ribbon

Thank you for your prayers and well wishes for this courageous young man!

Last edited:
The family just updated the web page a few minutes ago:

The Final Decision
Posted 7 minutes ago

Good Afternoon, Dad here. I wish that I had some good news to report, but I donÃÕ. CoreyÃÔ kidneys are not getting any better and his liver is failing. I know this is not the news that we wanted, but the cancer is taking over. We are numb, but we know that we have provided Corey with every single opportunity to beat this awful disease. We had a long talk with Dr. Wagner and CoreyÃÔ liver will not get better. We are not going to proceed with dialysis. This would not help the other problems that exist. We are going to have our precious Corey on comfort care only. For the last 2 Ž½ years Corey has been fighting this terrible disease. He has been the strongest boy and the best son anyone could ever ask for. He has given Debra and me our strength. All he has known is the hospital as his life. He never complained at all each time he came for a procedure. He always had a smile for everyone. We canÃÕ thank the community enough for everything that you have provided for our family. We know that Corey would not want to suffer and we donÃÕ either. The Lord has provided us with a beautiful son and now he is calling Corey home. He must have some big plans for him. As a parent, the nightmare of letting your child go is the worst pain a parent faces in life. We want everyone to remember the good times with Corey. He could make you laugh every day. We know that Corey has changed a lot of lives for the good and we are all thankful of this. He is our little angel. We know that Corey will be pain free and no more worries. He will be fishing in the biggest lake in Heaven. I will keep everyone updated. Please pray for our strength to make it through this time. Thank you. Love the Nickells.

For those of you supporting them, they can use your prayers and support now more than ever.

They updated the web page this morning:

Posted 9 hours ago

Hello, dad here. Yesterday was long and filled full of sadness. We had to have our laughing time to put everyone at ease. Corey is resting very comfortable. Debra slept most of the night with him in his bed. We woke at 4:30 a.m. and Debra gave him a sponge bath and put lotion on him. He really enjoys that. I had a long talk with him this morning telling him that he will not have any more pains and he will be running free. He will meet his grandparents and cousin. They will be waiting for him. He will meet all of his new friends who have passed to this terrible disease. We are waiting for out of town family to arrive before taking Corey off of support. When we do this, our precious Corey will pass peacefully and be flying on the wings of many angels. We firmly believe itÃÔ better to have loved and lost than to have never loved at all. We keep this close to our hearts knowing that our decision is out of 100% love of Corey. I just donÃÕ have many words today. ItÃÔ like being hit in the chest with a sledgehammer. Corey would not want anyone of us to be crying or sad. We encourage each of you to put a smile on your face when thinking of Corey. A reminder that the Butterfly walk is taking place in mason tomorrow. The website is Home All the money raised is going to Neuroblastoma research. We have to find a cure so that other children may benefit from this. I will update later. Love the Nickells

I spoke with my friend this afternoon, they are planning to take Corey off the life support systems this evening. The family can still use your prayers and support during this difficult time.

Thank you.

I'm sending all of my thoughts and prayers that direction today. I can't even begin to imagine the hurt this family is feeling this week... but from a distance.. I'm offering my support and prayers that this transition for them comes as easily as possible.

tk trekers.... if you need someone to talk to, just drop me a message. I try to be a very good listener, I promise. :hugs:

Corey has earned his golden angel wings!
Posted 36 minutes ago

Hello to all. After my first post today, the day seemed to go like sand in an hourglass. One grain at a time. We knew that we would be letting our precious Corey be free. We spent the whole day talking to Corey and letting him know how much we loved him and that he would be suffering no more. The rest of the family got into town tonight. Debra and I left the room at 7:10 and told our family to say there goodbyes. We went to the chapel and spent time alone reflecting on the beautiful life that Corey had. The walk down the hallway back to the room was the most difficult walk. We joined our family in the room. Debra and I and the grandparents were left with Corey. Debra and I were holding Corey tight. His breathing tube was removed. Corey James Nickell earned his official golden angel wings at 8:30 P.M. We told Corey to fly, fly, fly and be free. No more pain or suffering in the life that he knew. Life will go on, as Corey would not want it any other way. Please hold all of the dear memories that he has shown all of us. We believe that Corey was an angel sent down to us for a limited time to do a job. We are thankful that we were blessed with all he had to offer. I canÃÕ say enough how blessed we are to have all of you along with our family on this journey that we went through. The road was rough for 2 Ž½ years, but you made it easy. CoreyÃÔ road is like a new paved highway now. We want everyone to take a piece of CoreyÃÔ life and put it towards your everyday living. After all he was an angel. We will post the arrangements as soon as we get them organized. We will celebrate CoreyÃÔ life just as he would have wanted us to. Please be happy and not sad. We love all of you. God speed son, God speed. Love the Nickells.

I'm sure the family would appreciate your continued prayers and support. Kayla, thank you for your kind words & your offer. As a retired police sergeant, I have had my share of death and sorrow but it always hits home when it is a child, and even more so when it is a child you knew. He was a brave little guy that wanted to be a fire fighter like his daddy and enjoyed fishing with his daddy. I'm glad that they were able to spend what precious time they had together doing the things that fathers and sons should get to do. We always take certain things for granted, especially the health of our children when they are healthy. Be thankful for what you have and give them a hug and tell them you love them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom