Chichen Itza from Coz

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

midwestdvr

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I was just wondering which one is better. Book a Chichen Itza tour from here in the US or do it when I get to Cozumel? I was thinking a driving there myself but I've heard that it's a long drive and I don't really feel comfortable driving in the dark in a place I'm not familiar with. Thanks for any info.

take a tour there. they will drive you and its a little hairy through the small villages at times. We saw two groups of banditos (bullets belts across chest and everything) on the road, but they didnt bother the tour.

That is a great site, make sure you get a long time there to explore the entire area. There is a small hotel there that serves a pretty good lunch as well.

we did the tour a couple years ago (from Coz). i would definitely take the bus tour seeing as how the drive is long and if you don't know the way you will get lost. It was so awesome!! Book there with the resort. They charge the same as the US charges. we didn't see any banditos, the people on the mainland are really friendly also.

I've done both, taken the "flight" tour and driven there from Cancun.

The best thing for a first timer, is to take the "flight" tour, you have more time at the site because you don't have the 3 1/2 hr+ drive or ride. We booked the tour thru the Lomas rep at the hotel we stayed at. The price includes the round trip plane ride (small 35ish seat dual prop plane), transportation from the Chichen Itza "airport" to the site, admission to the site, guided tour & I think lunch. You get a pretty full day at the site, it's well worth the money.

The drive is really no big deal, if you choose to do it, just takes 1/2 a day. The highway between Playa del Carmen and Cancun is a new divided highway and I've driven the highway between Cancun and Chichen Itza, it's 4 lanes divided by a wide median cut thru the jungle, the trees pretty much come up to the road on both sides and you can't see the highway going in the other direction most of the time because of the trees. The road is in very good condition, or was 3-4 years ago, it is a toll way with a 30 pesco fee ($3 US) about 2/3 the way to C.I. from Cancun, it may be the 1/2 way point between Cancun and Merida.

Which ever you decide, it is well worth the trip.

When I went there from Coz it was on an Otter and not only did we see the Mexican farmland and forest but the pilot circled the site several times before we landed and after we took off. The airport was easy walking to the ruins and we spent a long time there. I remember it was jungle quality hot and humid.

I know some folks who went on a tour bus and whined that they didn't have any kidneys left after the trip over and back.

You can try Aerosaab the best way to enjoy the mayan world! for a tour of CI. We used them back in 2000 and had a blast. It sure beats driving/riding all day so that you get to the ruins in the heat of the day. From Coz or Playa you are sort of stuck. Either you head for Tulum and take the Coba road to Valladolid (a little two lane road that I would not like to drive at night) or head for Cancun and take the toll road to CI.

Hmmmm, thanks for all the info, everyone. Reading some posts here and on the internet, I've realized it can be quiet a trip from Playa to Chichen. Also, if I don't get there early enough, I'd run into the cruise ship and cancun daytrippers.

The more I think about it, I may just rent a car in Cancun (I fly into there), drive to CI and spend the night there, see CI that afternoon and early morning then drive back to Cancun and then head on to Coz.

Hmmmm, thanks for all the info, everyone. Reading some posts here and on the internet, I've realized it can be quiet a trip from Playa to Chichen. Also, if I don't get there early enough, I'd run into the cruise ship and cancun daytrippers.

The more I think about it, I may just rent a car in Cancun (I fly into there), drive to CI and spend the night there, see CI that afternoon and early morning then drive back to Cancun and then head on to Coz.

That is a GREAT plan and the way I would do it if I had the time. It is a very long day to get to CI from Coz if you don't fly. First I would get the Chichen Itza map from Can-Do Maps and travel guides (they are sold out right now). It has all the hotels, city and ruin maps, details of the highway interchanges, restaurants, up to date links, etc. The hotel I like is http://www.mesondelmarques.com. Also be sure to take the time and see Ek Balam. I really like CI, but I would go back to Ek Balam at the drop of a hat. Here's a link to give you an idea of what the site has to offer, Playa del Carmen - Mayan Ruins Of Ek Balam. If you have had enough of rock piles, the area's cenotes are very nice and well worth the time. Have a great trip, wish I was there!

BTW, do CI in the morning, you will avoid the crowds, that arrive around noon, and miss the heat of the day (very brutal with NO shade). Spend your afternoon at Ek Balam and check out one or two cenotes in the area, then visit CI early in morning before heading for the ferry. With this schedule, you will miss an afternoon dive on Coz but, you avoid the worst aspects of CI as well as seeing some pretty amazing ruins/cenotes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom