Chicago divers: a tale of two subs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SDAnderson

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
WBBM Channel 2 did a story tonight about the UC-97, a WWI German submarine that was sunk off the coast of Chicago by the USS Wilmette (formerly known as the Eastland - yes, that Eastland) at the end of the war. Read the story, here

There is more information about the sub (and a bunch of other cool stuff on the bottom in our back yard) here

Not a recreational dive, but great history and fun to cogitate over, nonetheless.

Steven,

Thank you for sharing the links / info. What a exhibit the two subs would be together! Of course, that's coming from someone that's been interested in the subs since long before diving one. Just finished reading 'Shadow Divers' - thanks Brian! and watching 'Das Boot'.

Paula

Pretty interesting. I had heard it was sunk by naval gun fire. I figured it would be pretty ripped up. Appearently, thats not the case. I wish them luck salvaging that bugger as it would make a great attraction if they were to pull it off. The wreck is not only deep, but its probably mired in good old lake Michigan mud, making extraction extremely difficult if it is even feasable. I'd like to see it myself though, preferably on display in a nice dry muesem.

Jim

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom