Chest issues when ascending from work related dives.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Disreguard

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hey guys! I am currently working as one of the Divemasters at Disney's Divequest located in Epcot. I have been out of the water for a few weeks now due to a chest issue that occurs while ascending. Attempted to get back in the water two days ago and everything felt great! Until I had to come up to the surface to inform a coworker about a certain animals behavior. When I reached about 6-7 feet away from the surface I felt pressure in my chest! No pain or anything like that it just felt like a knot was right in the middle of my chest. It was noticeable enough to where I did not want to go back in. The weird thing about this is the fact that it doesnt bother me any other time. I exercise often and a bunch of other things and I feel great! It only occurs when im ascending and im close to the surface. Does anyone have any idea whats going on?

You don't want to get out of the water? :p

No you're totally fine! I have never had any type of heartburn. Just gassy and a lot of belching hahaha

How is your gear rigged and what is your usual body position at the point you feel the pressure?

My wife has had a couple of episodes where she thought she was having a heart attack but it ended up being gas pain. She experienced it on a dive recently when ascending from 30m to 18m. She quickly realized it was the same thing and it went away after several minutes at 18m. It hasn't recurred. I don't eat before diving because I will experience acid reflux 30-40 minutes into the dive. I'm not a Dr. but this may be able to be controlled by diet and by re-descending for a minute or two until it passes.

No you're totally fine! I have never had any type of heartburn. Just gassy and a lot of belching hahaha

We actually do have some doctors that will be along to talk with you about this too.

Not that those of us, who have responded so far don't know what we're talking about. After all, we're highly certified, uh, divers. Heh

Hey guys! I am currently working as one of the Divemasters at Disney's Divequest located in Epcot. I have been out of the water for a few weeks now due to a chest issue that occurs while ascending. Attempted to get back in the water two days ago and everything felt great! Until I had to come up to the surface to inform a coworker about a certain animals behavior. When I reached about 6-7 feet away from the surface I felt pressure in my chest! No pain or anything like that it just felt like a knot was right in the middle of my chest. It was noticeable enough to where I did not want to go back in. The weird thing about this is the fact that it doesnt bother me any other time. I exercise often and a bunch of other things and I feel great! It only occurs when im ascending and im close to the surface. Does anyone have any idea whats going on?

Hi @Disreguard ,

A few questions:

You said the pain happens at about 6-7 feet on ascent. What does your ascent look like? Are you in a head-up position? How fast is your ascent?
Does the pain set in gradually on ascent or does it happen all at once?
Can you describe the pain, e.g. sharp, dull, aching, etc?
Is the pain only in your chest, or do you feel it elsewhere too?
On a scale of 1-10, how bad is it?
Does the pain continue after you are out of the water? If so, for how long? Does it resolve all at once, or gradually? Is there anything that helps it?
Are you under a doctor's care for anything (feel free to answer via PM if you're uncomfortable posting here, I can assure confidentiality).

Best regards,
DDM

Hi @Disreguard ,

A few questions:

You said the pain happens at about 6-7 feet on ascent. What does your ascent look like? Are you in a head-up position? How fast is your ascent?
Does the pain set in gradually on ascent or does it happen all at once?
Can you describe the pain, e.g. sharp, dull, aching, etc?
Is the pain only in your chest, or do you feel it elsewhere too?
On a scale of 1-10, how bad is it?
Does the pain continue after you are out of the water? If so, for how long? Does it resolve all at once, or gradually? Is there anything that helps it?
Are you under a doctor's care for anything (feel free to answer via PM if you're uncomfortable posting here, I can assure confidentiality).

Best regards,
DDM
When i'm ascending it is head-up and i'll be honest my ascent can be a little faster than normal especially if a guest breaks the surface since I need to make sure they are okay. As I get closer to the surface I start to feel some chest tightness, it occurs in the very center of my chest where my sternum is. A little bit of a dull ache happens but its not severe or anything so i'd give it a 2-4 on the scale. There is no other pain associated and the tightness only happens in my chest. The tightness, being uncomfortable, and tiny bit of aches go away relatively fast usually withing a few hours or so. I have no other issues doing any type of cardio, breathing, or any type of pain or breathing issues. The event ONLY occurs when im ascending so im confused on whats going on. During my dives i feel fine but when im reaching close to the surface is when the tightness begiins.

Back
Top Bottom