Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel Island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

upton75

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I never thought about it, but is it possible to shore dive the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel islands? I imagine the viz isnt great, but looking for any info on this.

Thanks

Interesting question. My guess would be it would not be permitted. Let's see if I'm right.....

The South island is currently closed for construction of a new tunnel until 2023 and as such there would be no public access. I believe the north island only allows stopping for construction and maintenance traffic.

There are large boulders in place to mitigate erosion of the islands and the wind and current get pretty wild out there at times, so a shore dive might not be the greatest idea if it is even allowed at all.

What might be more feasible would be to take a boat to the more sheltered area, fisherman inlet bridge or even north channel bridge. That way you may be a bit more sheltered from strong currents and also have the support of a boat should anything go wrong. CBBT.com would have a bit more information on the project and possibly drop them an email regarding permission etc. Let me know how you get on!

With current international issues, I'd expect anti-terrorism surveillance to be stepped up. It wasn't too long ago that taking pictures of bridges, tunnels, etc. could bring an official response. Diving near the bridge/tunnel might prompt "curiosity" at the least and earn you a vist from some folks who want to have a chat ...

Yeah, almost like trying to shore dive in NY while legally parking......

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom