Checking out the 85 foot high ore dock in Lake Superior

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diverdon

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
A dive buddy and I checked out one of the original piers in Marquette and then examined the 85' high ore dock. Both a large part of our local history. Lake Superior is cooling now, but there is still a chance to get some dives in before the ice and famed Gales Of November.

Once again -- 11 minutes abd 8 seconds viewing a very interesting video on a 88 year old fresh water dock...
']
I appreciate your acknowledgement of the gift of a knife and console -- but did not enhance the stated mission of the dive .

I would have liked to have seen historical phots of the pier -- I would suspect they are available at the local library reference department or the local historical society.

I also missed the recap of the treasures you found and salvaged -- There is a open question - what happened to the bottles and the bike wheel ?

I guess it is October - where I live the weather seldom changes It remans essentially the same all year. I live on a hill overlooking the Pacific ocean in a "Micro Climate" never too warm or never too cold - generally around 70 to 75.

But this is what is called America so diverse in all aspects - especially weather

Keep up the good work -

Sam

Once again -- 11 minutes abd 8 seconds viewing a very interesting video on a 88 year old fresh water dock...
']
I appreciate your acknowledgement of the gift of a knife and console -- but did not enhance the stated mission of the dive .

I would have liked to have seen historical phots of the pier -- I would suspect they are available at the local library reference department or the local historical society.

I also missed the recap of the treasures you found and salvaged -- There is a open question - what happened to the bottles and the bike wheel ?

I guess it is October - where I live the weather seldom changes It remans essentially the same all year. I live on a hill overlooking the Pacific ocean in a "Micro Climate" never too warm or never too cold - generally around 70 to 75.

But this is what is called America so diverse in all aspects - especially weather

Keep up the good work -

Sam

Hi Sam,

I do have many historical photos of the DSS&A dock number 6 but am waiting to use them in a larger project. I have to get approval to use them and so on... It should be available in January if all goes well. Stay tuned :wink:

I realize the shout-out added little to the video but I didn't know how else to give credit to the fellow who donated it "to my channel". I'm hoping those interested will overlook that.

As for the wrap up, there was no real treasure this time. The few bottles found were modern and the wheel discarded before I got back to shore. Thankfully someone else was of the mind that trash needs to be picked up not deposited in L.S.

As for your micro climate. I'm jealous. Perhaps someday we can share more about that and the wonderful history of Socal diving history.

There's rumor that there are rail cars in the drink near the end of the dock. I have yet to dive the entire perimeter but hope to finish that tour yet this fall. If there is anything interesting I will post another video and perhaps I'll have proper permission to use the historical photos.

Thanks again for being a fan, Sam!

DD

Another great video! I look forward to the future parts and hopefully seeing some rail cars. It is nice to see some great diving videos from my hometown. I look forward to getting back home and doing some diving!

There's plenty of good fresh dives here, J D S! The cold water scares most away :wink:

DD

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom