check your halcyon smb inflate valve

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

idive2

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Not a tech or DIR diver but I know you guys and gals use a lot of halcyon gear.
I had been using an older smb for a while and my newer halcyon smb had been
rinsed, dried, and stored for maybe six month or so. I was getting it set up again
so I thought I would unroll it and inflate it. It is the closed circuit type marker buoy
that can be inflated only orally or with low pressure hose. After inflating it I noticed
the air was coming right back out the valve. For those that don't have the halcyon you
are probably familiar with the type where you have to push in before blowing into it.
Halcyon has a nice stainles steel fitting that has a one way valve built in that allows
air to be blown in but closes automatically. Anyway, mine was not closing. After about
ten minutes of checking it out and applying a little pressure to the rubber part of the tube
that the mouthpiece attaches to it started functioning properly. My guess is that it probably
would have deployed okay but probably would have lost air on the surface if allowed to lay flat.
If you have had one in storage for a bit, you might check this.

I had a total check valve failure on a SMB I bought used. Extreme Exposure took care of it for something like $6 in parts.

Yeah, I really like the smb. I'm glad I checked it before deploying it and having it end up laying flat or even submerged
on the surface. Just a little something hanging up I suspect. I actually pulled out the opv which is close to the inflate valve to
take a look at where the air comes in. I thought maybe it had one of those little flapper deals, but did not so apparantly some
kind of valve within the inflate valve.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom