check lists

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

slackercruster

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
On PBS they had a show on Extreme Cave Diving. Jill Heinerth said she used a 40 point check list to prep her RB.

Do you use a checklist or just memory? Also, is 40 points to check about common for most RB's?

Jill is a pretty impressive lady...

Jill Heinerth

On PBS they had a show on Extreme Cave Diving. Jill Heinerth said she used a 40 point check list to prep her RB.

Do you use a checklist or just memory? Also, is 40 points to check about common for most RB's?

Jill Heinerth

I absolutely use a checklist...

Jill Heinerth

They were diving Megs. That was played up a little for TV IMO.

That 45 point ISC check list includes such things as

2) Charge 02 and diluent cylinders
5) Install BC bladder
6) Install backplate
7) Mount counterlungs to backplate assembly.
10) Install DSV (mouthpiece) to counterlung assembly.

Many of these items I've deleted from the checklist and combined into my own check list containing much fewer points.

I'd like to think I'm smart enough that I dont need a list to tell me to install my backplate and wing to the unit. And if I'm not, then well I deserve whatever happens. The critical items remain on my list and they are recorded religiously.

Depends. Some units are more complex than others and some personalities are diff. I only use one if I'm doing a more involved dive like cave or deco, if I know I can come strait to the surface on bailout I'm more lax. The predive checklist for mine is 30 steps long but that's a manual unit, some of the eCCRs get up a lot higher (45ish+). And what steps to count gets some arguments going.

Check out Silent Scuba Home there are a few annexes from Mel Clark's book "Rebreathers Simplified" that goes through the set up check lists for a few RBs so you can see the differance in set up of some.

Yeah, I agree, the Meg check list is soo long it kind of descourages using it. It would be nice if they came out with one that assumed you had assembled the unit to it's basic configuration, while double checking things like making sure the wing nuts haven't backed out a bit.

g

They were diving Megs. That was played up a little for TV IMO.

That 45 point ISC check list includes such things as

2) Charge 02 and diluent cylinders
5) Install BC bladder
6) Install backplate
7) Mount counterlungs to backplate assembly.
10) Install DSV (mouthpiece) to counterlung assembly.

Many of these items I've deleted from the checklist and combined into my own check list containing much fewer points.

I'd like to think I'm smart enough that I dont need a list to tell me to install my backplate and wing to the unit. And if I'm not, then well I deserve whatever happens. The critical items remain on my list and they are recorded religiously.

I always use the checklist, I think I could do it from memory but I just want to make sure that I don't forget any of the step.

Thanks for the links.

Once the absorbent has been used, is there a time limit it must be used within?

For instance, say it would last 6 hours but you only use it for an hour after terminating a dive. Can it be reused a few months later or does it have to be trashed if not used within a certain time?

Thanks for the links.

For instance, say it would last 6 hours but you only use it for an hour after terminating a dive. Can it be reused a few months later or does it have to be trashed if not used within a certain time?

A few months? I wouldn't. A week or two maybe, it depends on a lot of factors. Also most people are probably pretty conservitive when doing it (i.e. I wouldn't do a 1hr dive then a 4 hr dive then another 1hr dive on a 6hr scrubber).

Thanks for the links.

Most of the CCR divers that I know will keep their use scrubber for about 2 weeks. I do a maximum of 4 hours on my scrubber so usually two 90 to 100 minutes dive then I dump it. If I don't use it in 2 weeks which is rare I also dump it, nothing worst than looking at a $10.000 piece of gear sitting in the garage so I dive as often as I can.

Al

Back
Top Bottom