Cheapo camera that works!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

acarter92

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Title says it all... I'm looking for a "cheap" underwater camera that will take pictures with little or no fuss. I'm just looking for something that will take an "ok" picture that I can share. I'm not looking for something with a lot of features because I don't have the interest or desire to learn how to use them, just looking for a point and shoot carmera that's not total junk. So far I've found the SeaLife Mini II, and the Intova IC series (looking at the 12?), can't justify spending more than $200 and would like to stay well under that. I've read some bad reviews about the Intova (poor battery life, shuts off during dives, case leaks), just looking for some advice on what I should be looking at.

Thanks in advance,
Austin

Well under $200.00?

I mean, good luck.

Have you looked into buying used? Not sure if there is anything out there but I have seen a couple of Sealife cameras with housings in the $300.00 range.

Sealife Mini.
$170 or so if you hunt hard.

Chug
Sealife 1400 user.

I have an old DC800. I recently did a live aboard that I took an award winning photo. Picture of the week.:D The DC1400 would be a significant upgrade. I won a Tshirt and an entry for picture of the year and a free trip. Made me happy!

PICT0273.jpg
Sealife Mini.
$170 or so if you hunt hard.

Chug
Sealife 1400 user.

Intova

The Sealife mini will take perfectly adequate pictures. I have a non photographer buddy who has taken many very nice pictures to share with his mini. Although it will double your cost, I'd recommend getting their strobe to go with it. Your pictures will be better. Otherwise, shoot shallow with good light.

I have played this game 2 times before, looking for a "cheapie" UW camera and was burned BOTH times. Honestly, I have had VERY poor luck with low end Scuba Cams. Therefore, I offer you a possible solution if you have not yet purchased anything. I have a COMPLETE, ready to go, with accessories, if you are interested. Although it might be slightly a little higher that your $200 limit, TRUST ME, this is WELL WORTH the investment !!! This camera is the perfect combo of point and shoot with the capability to go manual settings if you would like. 8.1 MP, shoots unbelievable still shots and videos. All HI RES ! Time are challenging, willing to part with it if interested. I have attached a couple "average" pictures this amazing camera is capable of.
PS- Camera works both UW and on land as a fully functional Dig Camera, but one MAJOR advantage over taking a reg dig cam and putting a housing on it, the Sealife is MADE FOR DIVING and advanced filters and sea settings built directly into the cams software - EZ to use as well.

Sealife DC800 8.1 MP Camera
Sealife DC800 Housing
Several Memory Cards - ALL HIGH SPEED CLASS (no lag or skipped frames when capturing movies UW).
Add-On Professional Strobe w/ Swim Frame - ULTIMATE LIGHTING WHEN UW.
Internation Charging Kit w/ Spare Battery
Sealife Carry Case - Optional other carry cases - All Dive Bag Safe
Water Dissectant Tubes (Moisture Munchers)
Standard Charger - North America
Several Other Accessories

SHOT EXAMPLES:
PICT0360.jpgPICT0429.jpg

Title says it all... I'm looking for a "cheap" underwater camera that will take pictures with little or no fuss. I'm just looking for something that will take an "ok" picture that I can share. I'm not looking for something with a lot of features because I don't have the interest or desire to learn how to use them, just looking for a point and shoot carmera that's not total junk. So far I've found the SeaLife Mini II, and the Intova IC series (looking at the 12?), can't justify spending more than $200 and would like to stay well under that. I've read some bad reviews about the Intova (poor battery life, shuts off during dives, case leaks), just looking for some advice on what I should be looking at.

Thanks in advance,
Austin
You can get an underwater housing for almost any digital camera. Do you already have a digital camera? I'd suggest just buying a housing for it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom