Cheaping out on Trimix - travel gas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Alekseolsen

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So, as it happens to be, I'm currently a newbie Trimix-diver.
Due to the cost and hassle involved in getting a trimix fill, I usually get a 21/35, which is topped up with air after the first dive, to get more dives out of the fill.

My local divesites includes a bit of swimming in the 10-30 meters range both before/after the deep part of the dive, thus I've been playing with the thought of bringing a stage with ie. EAN32 to use as "travel gas". Normally I'd have 1 stage with 50% for limited deco, so now considering bringing two stages.

I dont intend on including the stage with EAN in gas planning, just utilise it to save on the helium.

Any thoughts appreciated!

I do this but I would replace 50 with 100

Thanks for that! I'm only licenced for 50%, so guess I'm "stuck" with that.

if you are a TX diver, how come you are not "licenced" to use pure oxy?!
Edit; removed my edit :)

Iandt Advanced Rec Trimix and Advanced Nitrox - or something like that

As with others, I don't know what agency certifies trimix divers but does not allow 100% oxygen for deco.

I really didn't understand the plan, I guess. If you want to use a stage with 32% during the dive, why not make it part of the plan?

So, as it happens to be, I'm currently a newbie Trimix-diver.
Due to the cost and hassle involved in getting a trimix fill, I usually get a 21/35, which is topped up with air after the first dive, to get more dives out of the fill.

My local divesites includes a bit of swimming in the 10-30 meters range both before/after the deep part of the dive, thus I've been playing with the thought of bringing a stage with ie. EAN32 to use as "travel gas". Normally I'd have 1 stage with 50% for limited deco, so now considering bringing two stages.

I dont intend on including the stage with EAN in gas planning, just utilise it to save on the helium.

Any thoughts appreciated!
Are you solo diving too? I couldn't tell. What is your buddy diving?

Starting the dive on the wrong gas (50% in this case) is shockingly easy to do and to have you swimming along at 30m working at a ppO2 of 2.0 is very likely to be life threatening. Innocent seemingly obvious mistakes like this is how people die.

As a new trimix diver I would suck it up and accept the minimal extra cost of diving exactly how you were trained - backgas and one deco gas. If you can't afford that extra 20 or 40 euros etc, then don't do the dive. Making these kinds of logistical compromises at the beginning of your trimix career is especially unwise since you don't have the mental habits or muscle memory established yet for anything.

You need to do TDI Advanced Nitrox in conjunction with Helitrox to get up to 100% O2 (above 40%).

you are correct but helitrox require you to already be advanced nitrox certified or be taking advance nitrox at the same time. there is no way to be helitrox certified and not also be advanced nitrox certified.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom