Question Cheaper FFM?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The cheapest FFM I've seen is £550 UK. There must be something less than that around?
Not really, for an actual full face mask, with a nose block, internal valves, and some vane to circulate the air to avoid fogging. The masks are typically quite complex (see exploded view).

Perhaps, the used market?

The only cheap-o alternative which I had used for years and is, miraculously, still available, is a rubber or silicone mask (seen below) which allows for the insertion of most any regulator mouthpiece.

That design hasn't really changed in fifty years . . .

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-11-25 at 11.04.17 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-11-25 at 11.04.17 AM.png
    332.7 KB · Views: 67
  • Screen Shot 2022-11-25 at 11.22.14 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-11-25 at 11.22.14 AM.png
    285.4 KB · Views: 65
Strange it should cost more than a mask and a normal second stage. I'll try your cheapo version. Or maybe not. $150?!? Not paying that for just the mask.

Strange it should cost more than a mask and a normal second stage. I'll try your cheapo version. Or maybe not. $150?!? Not paying that for just the mask.
I don't know what to tell you. Diving is seldom a cheap endeavor -- and the full-face masks that I frequently use for work, which allow for communication between divers, if need be, are quite complex (something on the order of twenty-seven components or more) -- not simply the addition of a second stage to a conventional mask . . .

Not sure why they would require anything extra. Just adding some talking space between your mouth and the secondary.

I paid £15 for my mask and £20 for my 2nd stage. Add a little to make dollars, maybe $17 and $23.

When you say communication, can't you use hand signals? Learn American Sign Language if necessary!

Not sure why they would require anything extra. Just adding some talking space between your mouth and the secondary.

I paid £15 for my mask and £20 for my 2nd stage. Add a little to make dollars, maybe $17 and $23.

When you say communication, can't you use hand signals? Learn American Sign Language if necessary!
Surely, you're joking.

I have been diving in excess of four decades and have never seen those low-ball prices for new equipment of any sort. What brand of gear have you found, whether new or used? Something from the Uyghur slave pits?

Diving in brackish water, where visibility is less than a meter or at night, frequently involved wired communications -- even to boats on occasion, when even the grandest rude gesture could never be seen -- much less the subtlety of ASL . . .

Surely, you're joking.

I have been diving in excess of four decades and have never seen those low-ball prices for new equipment of any sort. What brand of gear have you found, whether new or used? Something from the Uygher slave pits?

Diving in brackish water, where visibility is less than a meter or at night, frequently involved wired communications -- even to boats on occasion, when even the grandest rude gesture could never be seen -- much less the subtlety of ASL . . .
Ebay. nice cheap stuff. Maybe you'd say it was unsafe, but I've been using it for two years.

Ah ok, night makes a difference.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom