cheap scuba compressor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

zaf88

Contributor
Reaction score
Just curious if there was a cheap way to fill a scuba tank w clean air. i see scuba air filters for a couple hundred bucks online, could these be attached to an air compressor??'

just curious , def don't want to kill myself trying something stupid

A typical air compressor from a box store can only handle 150 to 250 psi where as a scuba tank requires anywhere from 2700psi up to 3600 psi some tanks can handle more I'm sure so the compressors they use at the dive shops are super heavy duty and have anywhere between two and 3 stages of compression before it pumps the air into the storage banks

^^ This. Because of what's required to fill SCUBA tanks the answer is no. Unless your idea of cheap is different than mine.

Your breathing gas is what supports your life. Play around with it at your peril. Typical compressors used in scuba have three cylinders, one relatively low (less than 500 psi), one medium (say up to 1800 psi), and one high pressure (up to 4000 psi). Special, non petroleum based oil is used, this is to keep petroleum based gases from entering your air supply, and a series of high quality air filters help keep oil and water out of your mix, and make it safe for humans to breathe. Is it cheap? No, but it is needed in order to safeguard the air you're about to use to support life at 100'.

under $3k, sure no problem, you can find lots of good small compressors between $2k-$3k if you're willing to put some work into them. Cheaper than that? No

Boosters are no less expensive, and much slower. You would need a shop compressor with filter to feed it, another shop compressor to drive it, and then another filter at the end before it hits the tank. Not practical.

Standard "small" scuba compressors are 5cfm. A big haskel with a 160psi drive gas needs 54cfm to put out 2.6cfm at 2000psi for reference.

Only cheap way to do it is to buy a used Rix SA-6, Bauer 5cfm, etc etc for somewhere around $2500

under $3k, sure no problem, you can find lots of good small compressors between $2k-$3k if you're willing to put some work into them. Cheaper than that? No

Boosters are no less expensive, and much slower. You would need a shop compressor with filter to feed it, another shop compressor to drive it, and then another filter at the end before it hits the tank. Not practical.

Standard "small" scuba compressors are 5cfm. A big haskel with a 160psi drive gas needs 54cfm to put out 2.6cfm at 2000psi for reference.

Only cheap way to do it is to buy a used Rix SA-6, Bauer 5cfm, etc etc for somewhere around $2500

yikes. well it was worth a shot. thank u guys for the answers

I have a used...but VERY reliable...Bauer Junior for sale. It just got serviced by the local Bauer dealer and passed all the tests with flying colors. I posted pictures and info on the classified forum today. Check it out...Fills scuba tanks- up to 5000psi (but is currently set to stop at 3200psi). It takes about 16-18 minutes to fill an 80 cu ft tank form 500psi to 3000 psi. :)

A word of warning see my post; http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/compressors-boosters-and-nitrox-trimix-blending-systems/490992-warning-anyone-contemplating-chinese-supplied-scuba-compressor.html#post7211470

Like most things cheap and good often are conflicting ideals. if you buy cheap and it contaminates your cylinder, the first time you realise might be at 30 metres just before you die. Please consider carefully before you try and do cheap quick fills. Research first and understand the beast you are dealing with before making a decision that could impact your health or life. This is not about breathing bad air at the surface where you cough and gasp but walk away, depth increases the danger and contamination effects on the body.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom