CHEAP REEF diving Tulum

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Germie

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
As we have planned to visit Tulum again for cave diving, we still have 1 day reef diving on our whishlist. Yes, we know that Cozumel is the best. BUT, it is expensive.
I see in Tulum prices for 2 dives 100 dollar including equipment. As we are cavedivers and instructors, we don't need equipment, we just need a tank and a boatride, extra service not specially needed. This means cheaper is possible. What is the cheapest place to book 2 of these reefdives?
A minimum divetime of 60 minutes would be nice of course. If only 45 minutes is possible, the price must be lower of course as we don't pay for half dives.

Can't say they would be cheap, but you might contact Dive Aventuras, in Puerto Aventuras.

They are just up HIghway 307, about 40 kilometers or so.

Nils, one of the owners, is originally from the Netherlands.

Can't say they would be cheap, but you might contact Dive Aventuras, in Puerto Aventuras.

They are just up HIghway 307, about 40 kilometers or so.

Nils, one of the owners, is originally from the Netherlands.
I really hate it when prices are not online. It also means of course that the asked price means you have to ask for a big discount and end up with half the price they say.
But if prices are not online I would normally not use them.

And in Puerto aventuras you can use the beach and swim 300m and you are on the reefs. So no divecenter needed then, only tanks. We did this last year after cavediving and used the gas left in the tanks to have a reefdive. It was not the best, but it was fun to do, it was only 9m deep, but with a lot of fish. And the funny thing: you park in front of the Omni hotel, then walk with divestuff to the beach and go. The owner of our appartment told us that we could dive there, so we did.

I am looking for prices under 100 dollar for 2 reef dives (60 minutes or more each) in Tulum.

I really hate it when prices are not online. It also means of course that the asked price means you have to ask for a big discount and end up with half the price they say.
But if prices are not online I would normally not use them.

And in Puerto aventuras you can use the beach and swim 300m and you are on the reefs. So no divecenter needed then, only tanks. We did this last year after cavediving and used the gas left in the tanks to have a reefdive. It was not the best, but it was fun to do, it was only 9m deep, but with a lot of fish. And the funny thing: you park in front of the Omni hotel, then walk with divestuff to the beach and go. The owner of our appartment told us that we could dive there, so we did.

I am looking for prices under 100 dollar for 2 reef dives (60 minutes or more each) in Tulum.

We've snorkeled that area.

The offshore reefs, accessed by boats, are very healthy and provide for a much better experience.

Was just trying to offer an alternative.

Have a great trip!

Why do you say Cozumel is expensive? One day, two tank dives are under $100, including taxes and without equipment. Hotels can be found for under $40/night, and tacos are about $0.75/each at Mr. Taco.

Afforable Cozumel Scuba Diving | Dive with Tres Pelicanos

Maybe give Annabel and Kelvin a call at Third Dimension and see if they have any contacts on some boats in the area?

_R

From Playa to Cozumel, the cheapest I found is 150 dollar for 2 tank dive, unlimited divetime.
Not really cheap.

So there are no divecenters from Tulum that offer a 2 tank dive under 100 dollar on the reefs?

@Norwegian Cave Diver you can do a reef dive from Tulum Beach? Or what beach near tulum?

It might be 150 dollars to dive Cozumel with a Playa dive operator, but the most expensive I have seen on Cozumel is 95 dollars for a two-tank dive. There are several operators there that can get you long dive times (Aldora, Living Underwater, Tres Pelicanos, Blue XT-Sea, and Liquid Blue). But that means you have to take the ferry from Playa to Cozumel. It’s relatively cheap, but it’s hard to make the pickup time for regular morning dives, which is usually between 7:30 and 8:30. There are very few Playa ops that make the run across the channel to Cozumel and they will burn a lot of fuel to do it, so 150 doesn’t sound crazy. I dove with Yucatek out of Playa years ago. They are currently advertising two-tank ocean dives on the Playa side for 85 dollars, so you can definitely find something for less than 100.

It might be 150 dollars to dive Cozumel with a Playa dive operator, but the most expensive I have seen on Cozumel is 95 dollars for a two-tank dive. There are several operators there that can get you long dive times (Aldora, Living Underwater, Tres Pelicanos, Blue XT-Sea, and Liquid Blue). But that means you have to take the ferry from Playa to Cozumel. It’s relatively cheap, but it’s hard to make the pickup time for regular morning dives, which is usually between 7:30 and 8:30. There are very few Playa ops that make the run across the channel to Cozumel and they will burn a lot of fuel to do it, so 150 doesn’t sound crazy. I dove with Yucatek out of Playa years ago. They are currently advertising two-tank ocean dives on the Playa side for 85 dollars, so you can definitely find something for less than 100.

Spend the $9 on the ferry the night before, get a cheap hotel room and dive the real deal.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom