cheap holidays from Thailand

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

h90

Contributor
Reaction score
At Sonkran time (arround 14 April) I want to go 1 week holiday away from Thailand (starting in Bangkok).
it should be cheap, there should be cheap and nice diving (my wife want to get to Laos but I have doubts to find a beach there), it shouldn't be very touristic, should be enviorement friendly small bungalows.
I thought of Bali
My wife of Laos (but it has no sea so no diving so not a good idea)
any other good ideas? Myanmar, Cambodia????

h90:
At Sonkran time (arround 14 April) I want to go 1 week holiday away from Thailand (starting in Bangkok).
it should be cheap, there should be cheap and nice diving (my wife want to get to Laos but I have doubts to find a beach there), it shouldn't be very touristic, should be enviorement friendly small bungalows.
I thought of Bali
My wife of Laos (but it has no sea so no diving so not a good idea)
any other good ideas? Myanmar, Cambodia????

Sorry, just saw the thread and see no replies. Hmm. Bali may work out expensive. Although with sonkran rapidly approaching maybe too late for somewhere else.

How about Langkawi in Malaysia? Direct air asia flights from Bk now, so the should be reasonable prices, or do it the hard way down to Satun and across by ferry.

Cambodia, there is some diving, Sihanoukville, although hear its not up to that much (too shallow):
http://www.divecambodia.com/

Vietnam? Direct flights to Da nang, and reasonable diving at Hoi An, or further away to Nha Trang (think direct flights there, but not 100% positive).

Myanmar - no idea land side, all liveaboards I think.

Have fun, and hope you escape sonkran.
-j-

josh_ingu:
Sorry, just saw the thread and see no replies. Hmm. Bali may work out expensive. Although with sonkran rapidly approaching maybe too late for somewhere else.

How about Langkawi in Malaysia? Direct air asia flights from Bk now, so the should be reasonable prices, or do it the hard way down to Satun and across by ferry.

Cambodia, there is some diving, Sihanoukville, although hear its not up to that much (too shallow):
http://www.divecambodia.com/

Vietnam? Direct flights to Da nang, and reasonable diving at Hoi An, or further away to Nha Trang (think direct flights there, but not 100% positive).

Myanmar - no idea land side, all liveaboards I think.

Have fun, and hope you escape sonkran.
-j-

Langkawi sounds nice. Satun-Koh Lipe and than Langkawi.
How is Langkawi for diving?

apparently not nearly as good if you just go down the east coast of Malaysia. perhentian, redang, tioman, aur and tenggol. Never been, but I am planning my trip there for this August. Of course, Sipadan, Mabul etc. of Sabah are world class diving. Nothing to do but diving there, and not sure it falls under cheap. I am going to Bali because my girlfriend is a nondiver. It is cheap there, especially if you stay right where the dive sites are. They have some really nice beach bungalows and it should not be crowded (april), plus tons to do topside. Again, never been, but just did research. Check the malaysia and indonesia forums as virtually every post has a different answer to your request.

LekicINC:
apparently not nearly as good if you just go down the east coast of Malaysia. perhentian, redang, tioman, aur and tenggol. Never been, but I am planning my trip there for this August. Of course, Sipadan, Mabul etc. of Sabah are world class diving. Nothing to do but diving there, and not sure it falls under cheap. I am going to Bali because my girlfriend is a nondiver. It is cheap there, especially if you stay right where the dive sites are. They have some really nice beach bungalows and it should not be crowded (april), plus tons to do topside. Again, never been, but just did research. Check the malaysia and indonesia forums as virtually every post has a different answer to your request.

Agree with all you say. Only (small) point is that I think flights from BK to bali are "expensive" comparatively, and was thinking more along the "cheap" bit of the header (although, as you point out, once there, Bali can be considered cheap). Especially agree on the diving in Malaysia as you point out.
-j-

well the Thailand solution......
As my wife didn't manage to get a new passport in time (she just know that she need one 6 month). The outside Thailand idea is dead.
So we'll go this weekend and some more days to Chumphon.
So from the long planning to go at sonkran outside thailand it turns out to go at not sonkran inside thailand......
The typical thai solution..... from two planned points, two are missed, but at least still diving.....

you can try Krabi in the southern of thailand. Will be going there during the sonkran festival (14april to 18 april) one night in krabi and then off to Phi-phi island from there. for accomodation, try www.atsiam.com. got ours at a gd price. will be diving at phi2. have gd diving sites around phi phi island.
hopefully this info is not too late for u.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom