Cheap Bands...but something looks a little fishy!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

grouchyturtle

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm building doubles soon and was probably going to go with Roman's bands http://members.aol.com/mrdeco/page/index5.htm

Sent him an email, and he won't be making any for about 2 months.

So I was searching around today and came across this site.
http://www.sea-lutions.com/double_bands/

$65 for a set of bands, still pretty cheap...BUT those are the exact same pictures as on Roman's site! They're in PA, so I though maybe they're reselling his bands, but the page says that they manufacture them.

They only provide a PO Box, no real address, called the #, but only get that annoying fax/modem sound. Still waiting on a response to my email.

Anyone ever hear of these guys?

I work with international procurement of capital scientific equipment in the former Soviet Union. A lot of times we get really suspicious looking invoices for what we may think are fake/front companies.

If we get them, we check them out, the address, phone numbers, websites, etc. If they don't check out, we use best judgement and don't do business with them. It is always to be better safe than sorry.

From the sounds of this, you have already done your research and answered your own question.

Actually all of the equipment image on their site look like they may have been swiped from other sites. The style isn't consistent and retouching a a few of them is a little messy, as if they were working from low res art (not the orginal photo).

Strange thing is, even if it is a scam, they don't tell you how to pay. Am I suppossed to just send a check to that PO Box? If so they don't even list shipping prices and a few of their products don't even have prices.

You had better use eBay like I did. It might be less risky investment. I just got my double band from eBay. It looks fine with the final price ($55 shipped).

grunzster:
Actually all of the equipment image on their site look like they may have been swiped from other sites. The style isn't consistent and retouching a a few of them is a little messy, as if they were working from low res art (not the orginal photo).

Strange thing is, even if it is a scam, they don't tell you how to pay. Am I suppossed to just send a check to that PO Box? If so they don't even list shipping prices and a few of their products don't even have prices.

This guy is making custom bands.
I got mine from him and it is an excellent craftsmanship and very reasonably priced :wink:

Hey, thanks... It seems to be a great source, specially the custom made order from ebay. I definately check out for 8 inch tank. Mine is 7.25 inch.

Just got an email from Roman. It isn't a scam. He used to be partners with Sealutions. They are just yet another company that went out of business, but never took their site down.

aquaoren:
This guy is making custom bands.
I got mine from him and it is an excellent craftsmanship and very reasonably priced :wink:

he is a local guy makes em right here. You are right the craftsmanship is excellent

Try 'victor341968@hotmail.com' - lives in Canada, and makes killer SS doubles bands to order for your tank/manifiold setup. I just received a set from him for my Faber 85s and a Thermo DIN manifild (bit different spacing than the standard 8.5) and the bands are incredible. $85 US including shipping and they are every bit the equivalent of Highland Mills.

jeb

grunzster:
I'm building doubles soon and was probably going to go with Roman's bands http://members.aol.com/mrdeco/page/index5.htm

Sent him an email, and he won't be making any for about 2 months.

So I was searching around today and came across this site.
http://www.sea-lutions.com/double_bands/

$65 for a set of bands, still pretty cheap...BUT those are the exact same pictures as on Roman's site! They're in PA, so I though maybe they're reselling his bands, but the page says that they manufacture them.

They only provide a PO Box, no real address, called the #, but only get that annoying fax/modem sound. Still waiting on a response to my email.

Anyone ever hear of these guys?

Back
Top Bottom